Adding A 2nd Outdoor Light On Existing Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding a 2nd outdoor light on existing switch

We are ordering a new set of outdoor light/speaker combos that we want to mount outside the windows on our patio.

The existing fixture is right by the door (with the switch basically behind it inside the house). The fixture we want to add is approximately 8-9 feet away and on the other side of a span of windows.

So I'm wondering what the procedure would be to add the new 2nd fixture to just run off of the existing switch? Running wiring inside the drywall would be pretty tough I think - there is 2nd floor above. Can you run it on the siding/above the window sill? And I'm not sure how that would look if you could do that?

Any ideas?

I'm going to try to attach a picture below... not sure it will work!

Advertisement

snowdog33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,314

You can run it outside, but it will look crappy.

You can remove the siding, drill the holes you need and replace the siding, with out having to go inside.

You can cut holes inside the ceiling and run the wires, then repair the ceiling.

It all depends on your skill set and how bad you want the other light.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,474

It's your money, and your house, do what you want.

But, I think the idea of combining lights and speakers is stupid. You don't necessarily need light at a speaker point, and an existing light is not the best place for a speaker. Compromising two different needs usually gives you a product that is mediocre for either use.

The only dumber idea is LED bulbs with wireless speakers in them.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

jbfan thanks for the input. you confirmed what I was thinking. I'll likely stick to one and see how it goes.

Oso954 with that being my first post on the board I don't know the value of your 475 other posts. But if your goal is to be a condescending d-bag, congratulations... mission accomplished!
A combined solution is not optimal? Really? One would never have known that had you not pointed it out so eloquently. Thanks!

What you don't know is 1) what the specs of the fixture are, 2) the fact that we have a separate switch with flood lights, so this light isn't needed for pure illumination, and 3) we're not audiophiles... don't care that it's not the best audio solution.
snowdog33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
It's your money, and your house, do what you want.

But, I think the idea of combining lights and speakers is stupid. You don't necessarily need light at a speaker point, and an existing light is not the best place for a speaker. Compromising two different needs usually gives you a product that is mediocre for either use.

The only dumber idea is LED bulbs with wireless speakers in them.
What in the world are you talking about? Get your threads mixed up?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Post a picture from inside looking at the patio door, standing back far enough, you can see where the wall meets the ceiling. Easy way, would be just to remove the drywall from inside, drill the holes to pull the wire, then install new work box from inside, after drilling a hole that you can push the wire through the siding for the light. On the outside, place the beauty plate that goes behind the fixture against the siding, sealing first with silicone and you are done on the outside.

As for the speakers, same thing, or go with wireless units, that you can unplug and take inside when not using, or use something like the Sonos system, that allows you to connect to the Sonos through the wifi network or Blue tooth on the phone or tablet. Speakers can be wireless also. You really only need a mono sound system outside, due to it will be very hard to get anything that sounds close to stereo when sitting out in the open.

As for the inside, put back up the insulation and drywall you removed, tape & mud, then prime & paint. Gives you a good reason to update the room colors, if the room has not been painted for a long time.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 05-28-2013 at 10:22 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Post a picture from inside looking at the patio door, standing back far enough, you can see where the wall meets the ceiling. Easy way, would be just to remove the drywall from inside, drill the holes to pull the wire, then install new work box from inside, after drilling a hole that you can push the wire through the siding for the light. On the outside, place the beauty plate that goes behind the fixture against the siding, sealing first with silicone and you are don on the outside.

As for the inside, put back up the insulation and drywall you removed, tape & mud, then prime & paint. Gives you a good reason to update the room colors, if the room has not been painted for a long time.
And per Greg, maybe your ceiling (actually floor) joists are running parrellel to your door, and you'll only need two holes and consequent repairs to fish your new wiring.

Advertisement