Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #1

Share |

Addding bathroom fan/heater and new outlets

Hi,

I just had my bathroom remodeled. The general contractor told me he uses licensed electrician, but he wasn't able to prove it and I am getting nervous what issues we might have in the future. I definitely don't want fire or something crazy.
It seems like some of these electrical work is done by DYI'ers, so I am hoping it's pretty safe and was wondering if you can comment.

The new electrical work that was done are the following and they are all new, so new wiring was needed.
* install new exhaust fan/heater.
* new recessed light.
* new over the vanity lights
* add new electric outlet

I noticed there were no conduits added and the wires were just running free over the beams.

Are these pretty easy to do that any decent DIY'ers can do without hiring a licensed electrician?

Should I have the work checked out by licensed electrician? This will probably require tearing up the drywall, right?

I am really mad at ourselves for not demanding to see the electrician's license before hiring this guy. But the damage is done. I am just trying to assess the state and see if I need to do anything to remedy this.

Please advice.
--Helpless and dumb remodeller...
locomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomoco View Post
Hi,

I just had my bathroom remodeled. The general contractor told me he uses licensed electrician, but he wasn't able to prove it and I am getting nervous what issues we might have in the future. I definitely don't want fire or something crazy.
It seems like some of these electrical work is done by DYI'ers, so I am hoping it's pretty safe and was wondering if you can comment.

The new electrical work that was done are the following and they are all new, so new wiring was needed.
* new recessed light.

I noticed there were no conduits added and the wires were just running free over the beams.

Are these pretty easy to do that any decent DIY'ers can do without hiring a licensed electrician?

Should I have the work checked out by licensed electrician? This will probably require tearing up the drywall, right?

I am really mad at ourselves for not demanding to see the electrician's license before hiring this guy. But the damage is done. I am just trying to assess the state and see if I need to do anything to remedy this.

Please advice.
I take it you didn't have the work inspected as is required by law in almost all areas?

No one here can tell you how incompetent the people were that did the job.

It's not rocket science, but there are plenty of things that can be screwed up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Scared Electrician

how about some pics? things can look kinda goofy half way thru.

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Hi,

* new recessed light.

Please advice.
Where are you located ?
What permits were pulled for this work ?
Here I'd need a permit then inspections: rough electric, framing (if any), plumbing - if changed, insulation - if updated, then a final inspection
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

Who is responsible for pulling permits and inspection? Is it the owner or the GC? I don't have any pictures to post. Everything was covered up by the time I got home.

There was no new framing, no new insulation, no new plumbing (if you don't count replacing shower valves). I would say only "new" items are some of the electrical I listed above.

Last edited by locomoco; 02-25-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

One of the first things is to clarify if they are individual conductors called wires or are they cables. Individual wires need to be in a conduit. Cables typically do not require conduit except for physical protection.

The heater should be on a dedicated circuit separate from the receptacle.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
wires or are they cables
Hmm... Not sure. He had a bundle of yellow wires/cables that was about 1/4" wide and flat.

Quote:
The heater should be on a dedicated circuit separate from the receptacle.
Sorry, I am not sure what receptacle vs. circuit is. Do you mean that there needs to be wire/cable running from my main electrical panel to the heater. This I know he didn't do because the panel is in the garage on lower floor.

Just to clarify, this isn't a large heater. It's one of those ceiling mounted exhaust-fan/heater combo.

And in terms of permit/inspection, what can I do at this point? I still have last payment to pay, but the job is pretty much done. Do I demand inspection to be done before final payment? Is inspection possible at this point or do we have to open everything up again?

Last edited by locomoco; 02-25-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
DIY'er

Quote:
Do I demand inspection to be done before final payment? Is inspection possible at this point or do we have to open everything up again?
Yes, call the city building inspector and explain your concerns. It was his responsibility to have the proper permits. Explain that you hired this person in good faith, and expected them to be doing everything legally and properly. It was only after it was done that you found out that you needed a permit. I would not hesitate to call, this is your families safety were talking about, we have no idea what this person did or did not do.

It's up to the inspector, if the wants it opened back up, then that is going to be your contractors problem, not yours. If your contractor wants to get into a fight with the building inspector about it, well, lets just say it will be a loosing battle.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
DIY'er

Quote:
Who is responsible for pulling permits and inspection? Is it the owner or the GC?
You want to have the contractor pull them (and he may even be required by law to be the one that pulls them not you, depending on your area), then he is responsible for getting the work done and passed.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies.

I also want to get more electrical work done (obviously not through the same guy). Just adding some recessed lighting in the hallway. Does this require inspection/permit? What is the rule of thumb for getting inspection if there is such? Does ALL electrical work require a permit?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
DIY'er

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I also want to get more electrical work done (obviously not through the same guy). Just adding some recessed lighting in the hallway. Does this require inspection/permit? What is the rule of thumb for getting inspection if there is such? Does ALL electrical work require a permit?
Call city hall and talk to the inspector, what they require a permit for / inspections for is mostly up to the local inspector / city.

Most areas, just about any new work needs a permit. Normally repairs don't.

I've seen licensed electricians add some little things without a permit, I have no problem with that, if they are licensed. The chances of a licensed person screwing up something simple is low. Doing all that stuff in the bathroom really should have been inspected, especially since you don't know what to look for or how to tell if it was being done right or not.