Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Add outside lites on a brick house

I want to install outside lights alongside my garage door. The wall is brick on the outside, then 2x4 studs and wallboard on the inside. What kind of boxes should I use, and how are they installed? I don't want surface mount boxes that will show. I don't have a problem removing/replacing the wallboard, in fact I'll probably have to do that to wire them, but I need to minimize the trauma I cause to the brick. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #2

You can try something like this....

http://www.arlcatalog.com/Siding/non...e_or_brick.htm

teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

Another possibility, which won't work if you actually need (or really want) to have the lights on the wall itself, is to put them on the soffit.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #4

I had a situation where the box for the porch light was really undersized and you couldn't hang a new light off it (it was just a regular switchbox) in my house. I took a new box (4x4x2 1/2 deep I think) and made and outline of it's location on the brick using my good friend sharpie. I then drilled 1/8" holes all the way through the brick (I think it was 1/8" anyways) about every 1/4" or so on with the bit of the drill on the outside of old sharpie's marks. I then just took a chisel and hammer and gave it a good whack between the marks and with alittle patience she came out clean as a whistle. Should produce a relatively clean cut, you don't have to be perfect but you wanna be close enough the lamp trim will cover any boo boo. I then ran my wire (in my case there is about a 1 1/2 inch gap between the back of the brick and the 2x4 stud wall in my house) so actually ran it into the back of the 4x4 box and tightened up the strain relief. Then I mixed up some mortor (only need alittle) making sure it wasn't soupy. Mortar should have a playdough like consistancy. Pack it around the box as far back as you can ensuring you get it in and around the intentationss on the box knockouts on the top, bottom, and sides to help lock it in. Let sit and it will be locked in place.

As for the type of box you will need to use in application I'm not quite sure. I used just a regular old 4x4 galv steel drawn box. I know the location my porch light was in never gets wet so weather or moisture wasn't a concern for me. If it might be a problem for you may need to claulk the lamp to the brick in addition to possibly using a different system.

I'm sure if there is a better way to do it somebody will be along to say it.

Last edited by kossuth; 03-08-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Looked at my post and realized how horrid my grammar was kids interrupting me LOL
kossuth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kossuth For This Useful Post:
Pistol Pete (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #5

Kossuth has the best method and if you pull the NMD to the location, then use a masonry box with a metal or plastic cable connector (Please don't just put it through a knockout). This is the method I use as an electrician.
cschwehr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cschwehr For This Useful Post:
Pistol Pete (03-08-2011)