Add An Outdoor Outlet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Add An Outdoor Outlet

Hello all, First time poster here with a question about adding an additional outdoor outlet: I have a 400sqft deck i built in the backyard with one electrical outlet leading out to it that was installed when the home was built in 06'. I would like to add an additional outlet on the other side of the deck because i hate dragging an extension cord across the doorway to get power to the other side. It is both a trip hazard and just plain ugly. My thought was: Since there is an outlet inside the house at the point where i want the outdoor outlet, i thought about tapping into the indoor outlet and putting the outdoor outlet on the opposite side of the wall from the indoor one. I think it will be easy enough; remove the inside plug/box, drill a hole from the inside out to help locate the outside plug, install an outdoor rated box/outlet, and tie the outdoor outlet to the indoor one. Besides the possibility of tripping a breaker because i now have an additional outlet on a circuit, see any potential problems with this idea? The outdoor outlet will mainly be used for a fan, light, radio, basically things to have out on the deck. I will not be running my power tools off it or anything.

Advertisement

Last edited by pokey302; 02-21-2011 at 09:57 AM.
pokey302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,782

Add An Outdoor Outlet

What room is on the inside of the wall? Certain circuits are prohibited from serving other areas of the house.

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Add An Outdoor Outlet

I have access to two locations: the master bedroom, and the living room (The deck is in an "L" shape of the house so it hits two walls). The master bedroom side is where i would like to put it.
pokey302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,362

Add An Outdoor Outlet

Connecting to the bedroom circuit is fine. Use a GFCI receptacle on the deck with an in-use weatherproof cover.