Add 2 Ceramic Fixtures To Existing Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Add 2 ceramic fixtures to existing switch

Here's the situation:
Ceramic fixture at the top of the basement stairs with a switch down below it. Ceramic fixture with pull chain switch at the bottom of the stairs. Ceramic fixture with pull chain switch further out in basement. All are on the same circuit.

I would like to add the 2 other ceramic fixtures with pull chains to be switched on and off with the light at the top of the stairs.

I've spent hours trying to do this, resulting in blowing the breaker.

How do I wire this correctly? The basement ceiling is presently open, so additional wiring is easy.

Help?

Advertisement

diyneedshelp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,548

How do the cables currently run between these fixtures and the switch?

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I know they're on the same circuit because the same breaker turns them off and on. I don't know how they're connected to the same circuit. Since I don't see any wires going between them, I'm thinking that they're joined to the same circuit at the panel.

I disconnected the work that I did. I tried a number of combinations, one being a 3 wire cable from the existing switch to the fixture at the bottom of the stairs, then a 3 wire cable from the fixture at the bottom of the stairs to the 3rd fixture.

Last edited by diyneedshelp007; 02-28-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added 2nd paragraph
diyneedshelp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,548

How many cables/wires in the switch box?
A 14/2 cable from the existing switched fixture to the two pull chain fixtures will definitely work. But from the switch might work as well depending how it is wired.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

Run 14-2 cable from the light at the top of the stairs to one of the other fixtures. Then run a cable from that second fixture to the third fixture. Remove, tape the ends individually, and curl up the original wires to the second and third fixtures. Connect the new wires to the fixtures, black to black (bottom center socket contact) and white to white (socket shell).

Wiring the second and third fixtures to the switch box instead of the first (top of stairs) light is straightforward except we have to broach a brand new topic, box fill (number of wires entering the box versus box size).

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-01-2010 at 02:31 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add devices to switch , light switch