Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #1

Share |

Acceptable to run new 120v circuit in existing conduit carrying 240v?

The title pretty much says it all. I have an existing 1" conduit carrying 240v for my range. Since this is the biggest existing conduit going to my kitchen, it seems to be the logical target for additional circuits. I realize the 240v conductors will be larger, though, too.

Can I do this without running afoul of the NEC, assuming I stay within conductor fill limits, etc.?

TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
The title pretty much says it all. I have an existing 1" conduit carrying 240v for my range. Since this is the biggest existing conduit going to my kitchen, it seems to be the logical target for additional circuits. I realize the 240v conductors will be larger, though, too.

Can I do this without running afoul of the NEC, assuming I stay within conductor fill limits, etc.?
Thats one of the neat things about conduit. Sure, you can use the existing conduit to pull another 120 volt circuit. Your range conductors should be in the neighborhood of #6. And you should have four of them, unless the conduit is used as the ground. You will have to sacrifice one conductor (wire) to pull in the new wires. Just connect the the new 120 volt circuit with one existing wire to replace the one you pull out. You may need a little wire lube, depending on the distance and number of turns. (bends).

A 1" conduit will accept the addition of 3 - 12's or 14's.

Note: If you do not want to sacrifice one of the existing wires, you can try to push the new wires in, or pull all of them out and then re-pull all of them at once.

Last edited by J. V.; 10-22-2009 at 02:20 PM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #3

Well, I just opened up a pulling elbow and it looks pretty darn tight as it is. There are 3 conductors, I think #6. I can see that I would need to lose one existing conductor to pull the others through. Will that still meet code for the 240v circuit to the stove after removing one of the hot conductors?

Luckily, I only need to go maybe 15' with one 90 degree that's very close to the end near the breaker box.

My other option is to remove some old tongue & groove ceiling tiles and drill the floor joists in my basement for a new run of romex. This may be necessary anyway, since I need at least one more circuit run to the same location and I don't think there's room in any other conduits. 2-3 more circuits would be better — I could then do dedicated circuits for the dishwasher and fridge. I previously have been hesitant to mess with the tiles. They're up there pretty good (stapled into furring strips) and removing one seems to mess up the edges of the adjacent tiles in some cases. Its not that I'm in love with the tiles, I just don't want to have to replace the whole flippin' ceiling to run wires. I'd be surprised if I could find these tiles anywhere if I had to replace just a few. The basement room is mostly storage space, so even these crappy tiles are nice enough for the purpose of the room. Still, I'm going to want electricity in my kitchen on a daily basis, and I'm not likely to care about the condition of my basement storage room ceiling if I don't have that.

The other circuits run above this ceiling are a mix of conduit and BX, mostly strapped to the bottom edge of the floor joists. Would that be acceptable for these new circuits? I do someday want to drywall this ceiling, though, so maybe its time to start moving the wiring into the joist space.

Last edited by TomServo; 10-22-2009 at 03:13 PM.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
Will that still meet code for the 240v circuit to the stove after removing one of the hot conductors?
You'll end up putting the cable back. I believe the point is that you'll use one of the existing cables to pull the new cables through. Unless you're lucky and someone left a pull wire in there. If you do pull a new run, I suggest you include a small string so next time you want to pull something you don't need to use one of the existing cables.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #5

Pulling/adding new wires to existing conduit is one of those things where experience is invaluable. I might do it in a half hour and you might struggle with it for hours before you damage the wiring and give up

Patience, logic and perhaps some wire lube.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote