DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ac needs to power cord

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Yoyizit 
#1 ·
I was wondering if I could just splice the new cord to the part of the ac cord that is not broke, ( was chewed off by my puppy, when not in use. I have another 3 prong cord, but forget how to determine the wires, I got green, and then the other 2 are not colored, but one has the grove going down the side, is that the Hot wire??? or Ground? any help would be great.

#2 ·
No you cannot just splice the cords, you must replace or shorten the cord. The indentified (grooved) conductor is the neutral, the green is ground. If this is a 240V AC, the green is still ground, the other two are both hot.

#4 ·
splicing

If you are comfortable around electricity:

Match the conductors and wire sizes correctly, solder the (hook) splices, shrink the heat-shrink tubing with a candle and you're done.

I use this method to lengthen cords on electric drills, chop saws, table saws, whatnot.

Cords have a string inside to resist failure due to tensile loads (yanking) so this method compromises that strength to some extent. Also, for exterior-use extension cords, the water resistance is compromised.

For me, whatever risk there is is worth the benefit.

#5 ·
If you are comfortable around electricity:

Match the conductors and wire sizes correctly, solder the (hook) splices, shrink the heat-shrink tubing with a candle and you're done.

I use this method to lengthen cords on electric drills, chop saws, table saws, whatnot.

Cords have a string inside to resist failure due to tensile loads (yanking) so this method compromises that strength to some extent. Also, for exterior-use extension cords, the water resistance is compromised.

For me, whatever risk there is is worth the benefit.
It also makes the cord non compliant. Not UL listed anymore too. Never splice a cord, especially for an appliance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.