Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Share |

AC/DC question. 12V battery to power 5v motor

Excuse my ignorance.
I have a 12v rechargeable battery that I hope to power a 5v chicken coop door motor with. Currently, the motor is powered off the house (US) and I am under the impression it is a 5v motor.

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/31427.pdf

What do i need to do to power this motor off the battery? Can I cut an extension cord and attach it to the battery alone and plug into it or can I cut the plug off the power adapter and attach it to the battery or do I need an inverter of sorts?

I'm learning as I go alone but asking before I start sticking wires to things.

Thanks!
Christopher

guyute74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

Check the adapter you're using for the output voltage. The manual indicates that it should be 12 volt, 1 amp. In that case, just match polarity and hook your battery up to it. No need for anything except a means to charge the battery occasionally.

Quote:
UL safety fuse inside AC-DC Adapter opened. Check using other UL Listed AC-DC Adapter with DC output of 12 volts, 1 amp max. Output plug must be center-positive.

AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

The PDF you linked to discusses operating it from a battery. You're not going to find any more complete documentation than that - it's straight from the manufacturer. And everything in that PDF says 12V. Why do you think 5V? Is there a question that's not answered in that documentation?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #4

You have very detailed instructions for both battery and household power. The adapter (wall wart) simply turns 120 volt AC into 12 volt DC. So use one or the other for power to the motor.
al_smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #5

I was double checking with the pro's before I accidentally fried our chickens in an electrical fire.... killing two birds with one stone (as it were).

It just seemed odd to me I could cut that plug portion of the wall adapter off and wire it directly to the battery.
I was wondering if I cut an extension cord and wire it to the battery keeping the plug portion of both so I could plug them into each other and then then motor. But I guess I'd be taking dc power off the battery, running it through an AC/DC converter and then blowing things up?
I'll just remove the plug portion of the coop motor and wire it directly to the motor!
Thanks.

Also, I have two motors, can I do the same and wire them directly to the battery?
They run very just twice a day and with the solar panel I doubt that it will run out of juice.
guyute74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Two on one battery should be fine.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyute74 View Post
It just seemed odd to me I could cut that plug portion of the wall adapter off and wire it directly to the battery.
Not an issue at all. The adapter merely replaces a battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyute74 View Post
Also, I have two motors, can I do the same and wire them directly to the battery? They run very just twice a day and with the solar panel I doubt that it will run out of juice.
I agree, it should not be a problem.

AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote