Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

ABS pipe as conduit

I recently finished my basement, including drywalling the ceiling. Before I put up the drywall, I ran a conduit of left-over 2" abs pipe from the electrical panel to the rear of the house. I now want to install a garage at the rear of the house, and I'm wondering if I can use this pipe as a conduit for running the #6/3 wire? Is there anything in the code that might restrict me from using abs pipe for this purpose?

jcvagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

ABS pipe as conduit

ABS pipe is not conduit. Conduit is UL listed for that purpose. So, you cannot use ABS pipe in place of conduit. However, you could use ABS pipe as a sleeve to carry a cable that doesn't require conduit, like NM, SE or SER. So you can pull 6/3 NM cable through that ABS sleeve. You'll have to secure it at each end just like if there were no pipe present, but having the pipe there will make it much easier to pull the cable for installation purposes. If an inspector challenges you on this (and they most likely will, if you have it inspected, since pipe is not the same as conduit and no professional would ever do this), they will be unable to cite a code provision that you are actually violating. Even though it's very strange to pull wire through plumbing pipe.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Electrician

ABS pipe as conduit

It’s a violation of 110.8 Wiring Methods

“Only wiring methods recognized as suitable are included in this Code. The recognized methods of wiring shall be permitted to be installed in any type of building or occupancy, except as otherwise provided in this Code.

ABS pipe is not recognized in the code as a suitable conduit, therefore it is not allowed to be used for electrical wiring (not even as a sleeve).

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

ABS pipe as conduit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
It’s a violation of 110.8 Wiring Methods

“Only wiring methods recognized as suitable are included in this Code. The recognized methods of wiring shall be permitted to be installed in any type of building or occupancy, except as otherwise provided in this Code.

ABS pipe is not recognized in the code as a suitable conduit, therefore it is not allowed to be used for electrical wiring (not even as a sleeve).
I'm interested to know exactly what provision is violated by using ABS pipe to contain an approved wiring method. Keep in mind that a sleeve is not a raceway, nor is it a part of the "wiring method" - it's simply a location where a wiring method is installed. Where a wiring method is permitted to be used without intermediate support (fished through existing construction, for example), I can see no reason why it could not be installed within an ABS pipe. Installing NM inside an ABS pipe certainly doesn't violate 110.8 as quoted above, provided it's existing construction and the cable is secured at each end as required.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #5

ABS pipe as conduit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
I'm interested to know exactly what provision is violated by using ABS pipe to contain an approved wiring method. Keep in mind that a sleeve is not a raceway, nor is it a part of the "wiring method" - it's simply a location where a wiring method is installed. Where a wiring method is permitted to be used without intermediate support (fished through existing construction, for example), I can see no reason why it could not be installed within an ABS pipe. Installing NM inside an ABS pipe certainly doesn't violate 110.8 as quoted above, provided it's existing construction and the cable is secured at each end as required.
I agree. There is no violation. "Sleeve" is the keyword, not conduit.

Wait. Is the ABS attached to the panel with a connector? If it is. I am pretty sure it would be a violation.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #6

ABS pipe as conduit

If the conduit is being used as a "sleeve" or most commonly referred to as a chase, there is no written code violation. However as indicated by J.V, if it is indeed connected to the panel or any box it is a direct violation by using non-permitted materials as conduit.

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#6/3, abs, basement, conduit, garage