DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   AboveGround Pool Filter Receptical (

dcd22 03-02-2010 08:44 AM

AboveGround Pool Filter Receptical
I need to run wire for a pool I will be installing. I will be doing the "grunt" work and someone else will be doing the actual connections (retired electrician). It is a standard, dedicated 20 amp, 120v.

My question is this. The run will be about 75 feet from the breaker. I need to run it underground also. So, what size wire should I use and also what type of "conduit" should it be run in?

In addition, should I do a GFI breaker at the panel or a breaker at the receptical?

J. V. 03-02-2010 10:12 AM

Grunts dig the trenches, pull the wire, and go get lunch. Ask your electrician the other questions. Pools are serious business. I hope you are being truthful about having a real electrician helping you to do this project safely and up to code. Someones life may depend on it.

Don't forget to pull a permit and have the work inspected!!!!!!!!

Scuba_Dave 03-02-2010 10:35 AM

What will be plugged into the outlet ?
Pool pump ?
Anything else ?
The load will determine voltage drop
A 20a load at 75' will have a voltage drop of ~5.7v = 4.8%

Rules & regulations for pool electrical work are very strict with good reason
Best bet is to check with your local Building Dept as to what they require
Min & Max distances from the pool, grounding, GFCI....there is alot of codes/restrictions you need to follow

HooKooDooKu 03-02-2010 10:35 AM


Originally Posted by dcd22 (Post 408244)
In addition, should I do a GFI breaker at the panel or a breaker at the receptical?

In theory is shouldn't matter. But the GFCI circuit breaker will cost about $35 while a GFCI receptical is about $12. As such, it would stand to reason that the breakers are used when you have a piece of equipment hard-wired to the panel (such as the motor for a whoolpool tub) and the cheaper receptical is used for a circuit with recepticals (since you only need one GFCI receptical to protect the entire circuit if the 1st thing in the circuit is the GFCI recptical and the rest of the circuit is powered from the "load" side of the GFCI receptical).

And ditto on what Dave is saying. Where I live, pools are more restrictive when it comes to permits. For example, as a home owner, I can pull my own permit for electrical and sewer work for finishing in a basement. However, our city's application for a pool permits state that any electrical work associated with installing a pool requires a seperate permit that must be pulled by a certified electrician and that any sewer or septic connections must be installed by a Licensed Plumber.

dcd22 03-02-2010 12:45 PM

Ya, i do hear you about the permit. Issue is, the pool will be a bit off my property line (vacant, unbuildable lot next to my house) and I suspect they will not allow this.

So, if I can't pull a permit for the pool, then I cant pull it for the electrical.

Totally understand what is at stake and would not have someone whiout any knowledge doing this and would also be seeing if I can get the spec from the town to follow what they want. Would NEVER risk my son's well being! I just like to do as much research before beginning the process as possible.

Scuba_Dave 03-02-2010 01:18 PM

Your going to build a pool that is partially not on your lot ?
That is definitely illegal

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1