Above Oven Microwave Oven - Maganatron Burned Out - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Above Oven Microwave Oven - Maganatron Burned Out


The magnatron on my 5 yr old microwave oven burned out 12 months ago. Under warrenty, GE replaced it. It happened again 5 months later.

I was told that the problem might be: The power cord isn't long enough to reach an outlet so I used a 'heavy-weight' extension cord. Someone told me this is a big no no with these appliances.

Do I need to be connected directly to a dedicated box?


Thanks Jeff

Advertisement

chats72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 6,976
Rewards Points: 2,048
Default

Above Oven Microwave Oven - Maganatron Burned Out


Undervoltage can shorten the life of appliances as well as overvoltage.

It's hard to say whether using an extension cord will result in undervoltage or exacerbate existing undervoltage but I would really guess not given that you used a heavy duty extension cord.

Overheating due to confinement in a small space is also a possible cause. Many microwave ovens do have forced ventilation just as computers do.

Advertisement

__________________
Forget super sized fries. The Washington Redskins could promote healthy eating with First Lady Obama by choosing a (red skinned) turnip for a mascot.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
elect, contractor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: niagara ontario
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Above Oven Microwave Oven - Maganatron Burned Out


how long is the extension cord? is it 14 awg?
you should have a dedicated circuit for a microwave, and the connection point should be as close as possible so no extension is needed. Other than that do you have voltage drop issues in your home?lights flicker or go dimm then come back? if so that you have problems you need to address
ACB Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Above Oven Microwave Oven - Maganatron Burned Out


Thanks for your help.

We live in a classic 1906 Building in NYC and so our electric service is pretty old. The nearest outlet is about ten feet beyond the reach of the microwave oven's power cord's. There is little chance of changing the wiring.

Thank goodness we don't 'cook' with the oven. It reheats coffee, makes popcorn, pre-heats baked potatoes and sometimes we use it to reheat meals. None of which is time consuming. In reality it takes up far more room than necessary. The usual run time is somewhere between 1 min to 6 min and occasionally ten+ min. to defrost something.

The oven takes up far too much room for it's usefulness. It hangs above the oven and doesn't take up precious counter space.

Jeff
chats72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Above Oven Microwave Oven - Maganatron Burned Out


If the plug falls out of the outlet and/or the plug gets hot, you have high contact impedance in the socket because of low contact force (the female connectors in the socket have lost their spring tension) which should give the same effect as a long, skinny power cord.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
DIYer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 910
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Above Oven Microwave Oven - Maganatron Burned Out


Magnetrons will not fail from undervoltage. Either something else is failing, or the cooling fans are not starting up, or something else.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,543
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Above Oven Microwave Oven - Maganatron Burned Out


Maybe the transformer or capacitor has a problem?
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Above Oven Microwave Oven - Maganatron Burned Out


I guess you could check the voltage into the unit to rule out external causes, and check for vents not being blocked.

You could try a Google search (with "magnetron") of
"implied merchantability" manuf
and/or
"implied warranty" manuf
and/or
"class action" manuf
and/or
"v. manuf"
and/or
"wrongful death" manuf

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electrical , kitchen appliance , microwave oven , wiring


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCARY oven fire! Why did it burn? Beth777 Appliances 70 12-08-2013 10:49 PM
OTR Microwave installation bfarber Appliances 3 12-22-2008 08:55 PM
Oven - junction box in cabinet DIYGST Electrical 5 11-13-2008 04:23 PM
wall microwave oven combo install Jaymross@mac.com Carpentry 3 10-08-2008 06:00 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts