DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Above Oven Microwave Oven - Maganatron Burned Out

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Yoyizit 
#1 ·
The magnatron on my 5 yr old microwave oven burned out 12 months ago. Under warrenty, GE replaced it. It happened again 5 months later.

I was told that the problem might be: The power cord isn't long enough to reach an outlet so I used a 'heavy-weight' extension cord. Someone told me this is a big no no with these appliances.

Do I need to be connected directly to a dedicated box?

Thanks Jeff

#2 ·
Undervoltage can shorten the life of appliances as well as overvoltage.

It's hard to say whether using an extension cord will result in undervoltage or exacerbate existing undervoltage but I would really guess not given that you used a heavy duty extension cord.

Overheating due to confinement in a small space is also a possible cause. Many microwave ovens do have forced ventilation just as computers do.

#3 ·
how long is the extension cord? is it 14 awg?
you should have a dedicated circuit for a microwave, and the connection point should be as close as possible so no extension is needed. Other than that do you have voltage drop issues in your home?lights flicker or go dimm then come back? if so that you have problems you need to address

#4 ·
Thanks for your help.

We live in a classic 1906 Building in NYC and so our electric service is pretty old. The nearest outlet is about ten feet beyond the reach of the microwave oven's power cord's. There is little chance of changing the wiring.

Thank goodness we don't 'cook' with the oven. It reheats coffee, makes popcorn, pre-heats baked potatoes and sometimes we use it to reheat meals. None of which is time consuming. In reality it takes up far more room than necessary. The usual run time is somewhere between 1 min to 6 min and occasionally ten+ min. to defrost something.

The oven takes up far too much room for it's usefulness. It hangs above the oven and doesn't take up precious counter space.

Jeff

#5 ·
If the plug falls out of the outlet and/or the plug gets hot, you have high contact impedance in the socket because of low contact force (the female connectors in the socket have lost their spring tension) which should give the same effect as a long, skinny power cord.

#8 ·
I guess you could check the voltage into the unit to rule out external causes, and check for vents not being blocked.

You could try a Google search (with "magnetron") of
"implied merchantability" manuf
and/or
"implied warranty" manuf
and/or
"class action" manuf
and/or
"v. manuf"
and/or
"wrongful death" manuf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.