Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Share |

Above ground pool circuit

Hello - I want to install a 24' above ground pool in NJ and to feed the pump I plan to use an existing outlet in a dedicated 20 amp circuit that is on the exterior wall of the house and was installed by the builder 10 years ago. I understand the latest code requires insulated (green) ground for pool circuits but since this was installed a while ago, the ground is bare and not insulated. Is this acceptable for inspection purposes? I cannot run another circuit to the pump because it is to be located in an area where the basement has been finished. Distance from this outlet to the pool wall is 13'. The other question is given the distance to the pool, is there need for twist n lock or a regular GFCI will do it?
For the convenience outlet and bonding elements I do not have any issues. Thanks for your comments!
Juance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juance View Post
Hello - I want to install a 24' above ground pool in NJ and to feed the pump I plan to use an existing outlet in a dedicated 20 amp circuit that is on the exterior wall of the house and was installed by the builder 10 years ago. I understand the latest code requires insulated (green) ground for pool circuits but since this was installed a while ago, the ground is bare and not insulated. Is this acceptable for inspection purposes? I cannot run another circuit to the pump because it is to be located in an area where the basement has been finished. Distance from this outlet to the pool wall is 13'. The other question is given the distance to the pool, is there need for twist n lock or a regular GFCI will do it?
For the convenience outlet and bonding elements I do not have any issues. Thanks for your comments!

How deep is the pool? Over or under 42" of water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Where is the filter motor and this receptacle in relation to the pool wall?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Where is the filter motor and this receptacle in relation to the pool wall?
Would this matter if this was a storable pool? Kind of why I mentioned the depth of pool water first.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 07-27-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Quote:
Distance from this outlet to the pool wall is 13'
The twist lock is only required if it's within 10' of the inside walls.

If it's a "permanently installed" pool

Last edited by wirenut1110; 07-27-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: clarification
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
The twist lock is only required if it's within 10' of the inside walls.

If it's a "permanently installed" pool
But more than 6' from the inside pool'... the funny thing about the 2011 NEC, is that they changed the general receptacle placement from 10' to 6', and that does not require a twist lock, so im confused?

Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Just gotta love the "powers to be" We JUST adopted the 08 code so, I hope I retire before the next
Old 07-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
Just gotta love the "powers to be" We JUST adopted the 08 code so, I hope I retire before the next
Im still on the 2005, and i'm happy where we are.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #9

Thanks, the pool is 52" high and the pump and filter will be less than 3' from and receptacle and 5" from the exterior wall of the house. I will run rigid PVC for the water to run the 13' from the filter to the pool.
My initial question is because the technically the wire from the house runs through the wall of the house directly into the receptacle.
One more question, the breaker is not a GFCI but the receptacle is, I assume there is no need to change the breaker to a GFCI one, right?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
the pump and filter will be less than 3' from and receptacle and 5" from the exterior wall of the house. I will run rigid PVC for the water to run the 13' from the filter to the pool.
Can you clarify this, it's not making sense nor does it sound right.

Using the GFI receptacle is fine.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Thanks, the pool is 52" high and the pump and filter will be less than 3' from and receptacle and 5" from the exterior wall of the house. I will run rigid PVC for the water to run the 13' from the filter to the pool.
Huh? Not sure I got all that, BUT... just make sure the receptacle for the pool pump is more than 10' away from the pool, OR if not less than 5 feet from the inside walls of the pool, the receptacle must meet the following:
(1) Consist of a single receptacle
(2) Employ a locking configuration
(3) Are of the grounding type
(4) Have GFCI protection

Quote:
My initial question is because the technically the wire from the house runs through the wall of the house directly into the receptacle.
You are in luck, article 680.21(A)(4) allows this.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #12

Let me try again, pump receptacle is on the wall of the house (literally), I decided to install the pump and filter close to the house instead of running electrical to the pool. When installed, the filter and pump will be 12' from the pool. It's far less complicated (code wise) running water pipe to the pool than electrical.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #13

Thank you, after reading so many interpretations of the NEC 2008 680, I need some reinforcement...
Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Let me try again, pump receptacle is on the wall of the house (literally), I decided to install the pump and filter close to the house instead of running electrical to the pool. When installed, the filter and pump will be 12' from the pool. It's far less complicated (code wise) running water pipe to the pool than electrical.
Ah, much better. Just remember, you are limited to a maximum of a 3' cord on the pump motor... And you will still need a general purpose receptacle not less than 10' from the pool, but no more that 20'. (Maybe 6' from the pool if you are on the 2011 code cycle. )

Last edited by stickboy1375; 07-27-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juance
Thank you, after reading so many interpretations of the NEC 2008 680, I need some reinforcement...
First, New Jersey is using the 2011 NEC unless you specified the 2008 NEC when you filed for the permit. Second, romex is only permitted "inside" the dwelling (Speedy Pete will disagree). However, I know several inspectors in NJ who will not accept romex outside. Ask your local EI before you start. GFI protection is only required on up to 20amp 120/240 volt circuits. What size is the motor?
. All other states click
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors
. Online motor calculator
. Online calculators
electures is offline   Reply With Quote