DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Above ground pool #8 bonding wire (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/above-ground-pool-8-bonding-wire-145279/)

jerseymom3 05-29-2012 08:25 PM

Above ground pool #8 bonding wire
 
I have put the #8 bond wire around pool I know it needs to connect at 4 points to the pool but where do I connect the two end pieces ???

Jim Port 05-29-2012 08:30 PM

You are going to need to connect to the water bond, any lug on the motor and any other metallic parts that are in the bonding zone. This may include metal window and door frames.

stickboy1375 05-29-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 931758)
You are going to need to connect to the water bond, any lug on the motor and any other metallic parts that are in the bonding zone. This may include metal window and door frames.

Why on earth (pun intended) would you intentionally energize a window or door frame?

Jim Port 05-29-2012 08:51 PM

A bond wire is to ensure that all conductive surfaces are at the same potential so that a shock would not be possible. Think of a bird on a wire.

mpoulton 05-29-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 931778)
Why on earth (pun intended) would you intentionally energize a window or door frame?

??? I don't get it. All conductive objects within the bonding area must be bonded.

Speedy Petey 05-30-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 931778)
Why on earth (pun intended) would you intentionally energize a window or door frame?

How in the world would you propose the frame would become energized.
This is a bond, not a ground. You do know the difference?

If a metal frame of a window or door is within the specified are then it must be bonded, plain and simple.

Code05 05-30-2012 05:18 AM

I like pictures.:)

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/a...00723312_2.jpg

k_buz 05-30-2012 07:20 AM

The fact Jim and Speedy are pointing out here, is a good one and one that is also required for hot tubs.

jerseymom3 05-30-2012 07:26 AM

The picture does not help this is above ground pool. I think this is a stupid code for above ground when my pool is not metal but I can't pass until I do this I layed the wire but had no idea where to connect the two ends. Does one go to filter other go to water bond plate? These new codes are stupid and just cost homeowners more money :mad:

Jim Port 05-30-2012 07:50 AM

I am sorry you consider that measures to enhance life safety are stupid.

jerseymom3 05-30-2012 08:30 AM

It is stupid for above ground pool that is not metal. I understand the codes for inground. I mean you can get a blow up pool and just have a extention cord pluging it in. I have a gfi braker for pool it just is way to much for above ground pool. The pools never needed this I had one when I was younger everyone survived. Everyone has there own opnion I only came on site to ask a question.

k_buz 05-30-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseymom3 (Post 932081)
It is stupid for above ground pool that is not metal. I understand the codes for inground. I mean you can get a blow up pool and just have a extention cord pluging it in. I have a gfi braker for pool it just is way to much for above ground pool. The pools never needed this I had one when I was younger everyone survived. Everyone has there own opnion I only came on site to ask a question.

I guess you think seat belts are stupid too?

Yoyizit 05-30-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code05 (Post 931983)

I think non-conductive steel is made of unobtainium.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseymom3 (Post 932081)
when I was younger everyone survived.

You might have been lucky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseymom3 (Post 932048)
and just cost homeowners more money :mad:

I think some NEC rules are just to make money for elec. manufacturers with very little increase in safety for the HO but I'm not so sure this rule is one of them.

Jim Port 05-30-2012 09:04 AM

Non-conductive steel has a coating applied.

jerseymom3 05-30-2012 09:06 AM

I am talking about bonding wire not seatbelts what does that have to do with anything!! I ask a simple question . But now that you brought it up yes it is stupid that its a law that you have to wear one It should be MY CHOICE I should not be told what I have to do. My car my life should be my CHOICE I am hurting noone but myself. I'M done with that I came on here to ask a question I thought I could get an answer not get stupid yes I said stupid comments back


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved