Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #1

Share |

? about wiring a combo bathfan/light/heater

Hello,I'am planning a bathroom remodel and just trying to get a plan together.My bathroom currently doesn't have a fan just two lights,one in the center of the ceiling and one above the vanity both on their own switch.I'd like to replace the ceiling light with a bathfan/light/heater combo.The two light switches are in a double gang box,about 2ft over is an outlet.My outside outlet is on the same circut as the bath outlet which is on a 15amp gfi breaker.What I would like to do is remove the outside outlet from the circut and power the new fan from the bath outlet.I would need to run a wire from the outlet to the switch box for the fan power and also add an additional 12/3 wire for the 3 way rocker switch.Will this plan work?Also currently the switch box has four wires coming into it and I would need to add two additional wires I'm concerned about having to many wires in the box.I would really appreciate any input thanks.

snake2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

No. Read the directions on the fan/heater. It may require a seperate circuit

Old 02-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #3

I don't have the fan yet but I looked up the instructions online.It says a seperate 15amp circuit is recommended.Would it really be a problem if the bath outlet and fan where the only things on that circuit?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Yes, it will be a problem. The instructions will call for a dedicated circuit. Equipment must be installed according to directions. It will also be a Code violation to share the circuit that way. You will also trip the breaker by having too much draw on the circuit.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #5

The heater portion is a big draw on those units.

You house was wired in the 80's where they ran a 15amp circuit for the bathroom and outside receps. The problem will arise when you try to use a hair dryer and the bath heater at the same time.

You should just run a new circuit to a new box and run 4wire cable (if you can find it) from the switch to the new unit. I lieu of a 4 wire cable, use a 3 and a 2. Use both whites as neutrals to avoid a technical code violation.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Might as well get one with a night light then you can run two 12/3's...

The wiring is not that difficult, you'll get a control switch most likely with a rocker style to it.

Depending on the wattage of the heater the total connected load will range from 11 amps to 14.5 amps. That's with everything thing on the unit running.

Generally the manufacturer specifies the size of the branch circuit...in your case it wants a 15 amp branch circuit that is dedicated to that combo ventilation fan. What the others are saying to you is that the heater will draw around 1200 to 1500 watts and a hair dryer 1200 to 1500 watts. Taking the lowest wattage and both running thats 2400 watts. A 15 amp branch circuit will only handle 1800 watts. So you would have a 600 watt overload if you shared the combo unit on the bathroom 15 amp circuit operating the hair dryer and heater at the same time.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #7

Two 12/3's in that 3" square JB ...should be a piece of cake

I'd stick with 14's .

In fact, the last one I installed did have a night light and I used a 3wire and a 2 wire. I didn't realize it was a violation at the time to use the neutral from another cable.

The switch was huge too. Yeah,,,,I remember. I hate those things.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Just easier to run smurf tube instead of 2 cables into those tiny JBs built into the fans IMO.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Two 12/3's in that 3" square JB ...should be a piece of cake

I'd stick with 14's .

In fact, the last one I installed did have a night light and I used a 3wire and a 2 wire. I didn't realize it was a violation at the time to use the neutral from another cable.

The switch was huge too. Yeah,,,,I remember. I hate those things.
The light is usually with the fan on 2 position rocker switch and the night light is with the heater on a 2 position rocker switch. Yep the switch is comparable to a gfci receptacle. Any way that equals 2...3 conductor cables there is usuall two neutrals at the fixture and yeah they want you to run each neutral on each 3 conductor to the switch. I really don't see why you have to do that. Like you said... Just use the white in a 2 conductor for a hot and connect the neutral of the 3 conductor to the neutrals of the fixture. I don't see the issue?? Most of these 4 way fixtures I've seen require a 20 amp circuit.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the input.This is looking more involved than I thought.Running a new circuit is something I've never done before and sounds like something that should be left to a pro.Thanks again for the help.