A19-style CFL Reccomendations? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
DIYer

Rewards Points: 75

A19-style CFL reccomendations?

Over the past couple of years I have replaced all the incandescent bulbs in my house with CFLs - except for the ones in the ceiling fans. I don't want to look at the ugly springlamp bulbs in my fan globes.

Last week I grabbed a pack of A19 style CFLs from Home Depot, "n:vision" brand. (See http://www.nvisioncfl.com/products.aspx?CategoriesID=4, 14W A19 soft white.) They look reasonably like normal bulbs, so I thought I'd give them a try. However, what I found is that the light they give off is horrible. They start off very dim and take over a minute to come up to full brightness. Once fully lit, the light is very pale blue. It makes the room feel like a hospital.

All of the springlamp CFLs I have in all my other fixtures give off reasonably good light, and they're pushing two years old. They take about 30 seconds to come up to full brightness, but they start pretty close to full brightness; they don't start off incredibly dim like the A19s I just bought. And once the older springlamps come up to full brightness, the light is pretty close to that of the old incandescents.

Can anyone recommend a good brand/part number for A19-style CFLs that give off good, warm light comparable to incandescent? If the springlamps have been able to give off good light for years, why can't the A19 style, which are just a springlamp encased in a globe, aren't they?

I should mention that all my CFLs are 14W (60W equivalent, about 800 lumens).

Advertisement

jpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Sylvania is the one i prefer. Check the color code, some say 835 (35), 841 (41) or maybe just say daylight, cool white or warm white. The cool white or the 841 would work best. Try your local electrical supple before home depot or wal mart, they usuall have a display or better suggestions.

Advertisement

patriot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
DIYer

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the tip. I grabbed these ones from HD because I was there for other stuff and thought I'd give them a try. I only bought enough for one fixture - sort of a test run.
jpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote