Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |

77amp Tankless Water Heater on 150amp House???

So I'm doing a rush rush rush job at reasearching whether or not to do a tankless or a tanked water heater... (garage flooded this morning).

I'm looking at purchasing a Titan N-180 Tankless water heater which calls for (I guess) two 220 lines for a maximum of 77amps.

specs from titantankless.com are: 18KW * 220/240volts * 77amp

Is this going to be okay for my house which only has 150amp service? There's a good change I will run hotwater, dryer, AC and possibly stove at same time in the eveings... maybe.
deeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

You need to do a load calculation to know for sure, but I seriously doubt you will get away with it.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #3

I have installed a couple.Then about a week later homeowner had me hooked up a reg waterheater some people love them others hate them Got Paid 2x You will be pushing that 150 amp breaker
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zx View Post
I have installed a couple.Then about a week later homeowner had me hooked up a reg waterheater some people love them others hate them Got Paid 2x You will be pushing that 150 amp breaker

HA! that's funny!
What do the people hate about them? I'm pretty new to the whole technology
Old 08-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeze View Post
HA! that's funny!
It is not the technology that people hate. Electric tankless water heaters eat up the power.
The better choice might be gas, if you have it, or go back to tank type water heater.
A singlee 77 amp load on a 150 amp service will be taxing, along with the rest of the load you meantioned.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #6

Jeeze guys... I'm researching around and hearing what you guys are saying and I think you're right. I think I'm just going to get another tubby.

Is 3/4" plumbing still the standard? I'm hoping to just pop in the new unit in place of the old... you don't suppose I'll be that lucky right?

My old tank was a 40 gallon (standard looking model) and only has about 6" on each side of clearance. Do you suppose a 50 gallon upgrade would be possible? I'll bring a tape measure to Lowes.

((Sorry for so many additional questions - I'm kind of hijacking my own thread... perhaps I should start a new one??))
Old 08-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeze View Post
HA! that's funny!
People where not there just the plumber They said people just dont like them,They don't care they get paid x2 Here is a web site to lookk at not much there http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...AAT94jS&show=7
Old 08-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #8

The tankless click a lot as they try to anticipate water usage. For three weeks in Germany I never got the hang of taking a shower without getting some cold water on my head. A tub bath is different since the temps. average.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
DIYer

The savings isn't worth it anyway. It would take many many years to pay off the initial cost difference.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Idiot Emeritus

Another thing to consider is you'll need to get two 40 or 50 amp circuits from the panel to the tankless.

Unless the heater is right next to the panel, it'll likely be considerable work.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Another thing to consider is you'll need to get two 40 or 50 amp circuits from the panel to the tankless.

Unless the heater is right next to the panel, it'll likely be considerable work.

Rob
Thats right. 4 breaker spaces not 2. Running cables and 77 amp draw. No way on the 150 amp service and your house is electric on top of that. You could use a gas tankless if gas is available. That would be the best option IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
The savings isn't worth it anyway. It would take many many years to pay off the initial cost difference.
I agree Gigs. He may never recoup a dime. You add the installation and the increased power consumption, I just cannot see any savings at all.

Note: Not to knock all TWH's. I like the "point of use" types on certain applications.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #12

Here's what I ended up doing. Fun DIY project...

I wanted to use the braided flex for both connections but it just didn't work out on the cold side. The bend would have been too hard.

I had to replace the shut-off valve along with the water heater. Pretty bad when the valve failed as well as the tank... it made the interim time a bit of a pain since I couldn't shut off water from there.

Electrical was MUCH easier than a tankless I'm certian...

Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #13

Looks Good Takes up alot more room Save Some $ and buy a hot water timer have it turn on when you use the most hot water. I would not own a Tankless Water Heater. Good Job
Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zx View Post
Looks Good Takes up alot more room Save Some $ and buy a hot water timer have it turn on when you use the most hot water. I would not own a Tankless Water Heater. Good Job
Thanks!
I've been searching the dog-doo out of Lowes and Home Depo's web site trying to find such a timer. I must not be using the right search words. I'm lost in the isles...
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #15

Here is one from lowes http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...D89&lpage=none Think i like this one better Price http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...r5&R=100088282