Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #1

Share |

600 Watt Dimmers Wired Right, But Not Working?

I have a 3-way switch next to a single pole. Each control 4 cans in my basement (65 Watts each, Halogen). I put in a 3-way dimmer and a single-pole dimmer (both 600 W rated rated Lutrons). It's the first stage of the 3-way so I'm good there. I got all the wiring correct, doing it the same as in the regulars. I switched the 2 carry wires on the 3 way to check it out and makes sure I had it right. On both dimmers ... the dimming function doesn't work? The switches all otherwise work correct. Any ideas on what the could be going on? I'm anxious to get these recessed cans dimmable. Thanks!
ChaunceyMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaunceyMN View Post
I have a 3-way switch next to a single pole. Each control 4 cans in my basement (65 Watts each, Halogen). I put in a 3-way dimmer and a single-pole dimmer (both 600 W rated rated Lutrons). It's the first stage of the 3-way so I'm good there. I got all the wiring correct, doing it the same as in the regulars. I switched the 2 carry wires on the 3 way to check it out and makes sure I had it right. On both dimmers ... the dimming function doesn't work? The switches all otherwise work correct. Any ideas on what the could be going on? I'm anxious to get these recessed cans dimmable. Thanks!
What it connected on the other three way switch?? is that on switch loop or not that will make the differnce on the way it connected.

But what model Lutron dimmers you have there due there are couple way to deal with it.

Merci,
Marc
Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #3

Thank you very much for considering this! I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "what is connected on the other 3-way switch?" or if it's on "switch loop". I have a set of 4 lights that are controlled by two switches. This is what I'm calling the "3-ways". I installed the dimmer on the first switch in the series. I then have a single-pole swith that controls a different set of 4 lights. That switch happens to be right next to the first 3-way switch. It is on the same circuit at the panel. I know that the dimmer on the 3-way doesn not work on its own. The two dimmer switches together don't work. I'm not sure if just the single-pole dimmer would work (if I returned the 3-way dimmer receptacle to the standard receptacle). I will try that later and post the result. By "not work", I mean "not dim the lights". That is, the single-pole switch and the two 3-way switches work fine in regards to on/off. It seems unlikely to me that both dimmer switches are faulty. I will also post the model of the dimmers later. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Are the halogen lights 120 volt or low voltage?

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #5

120 v
Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

You should be able to dim them just like an incandescent. This is the lutron wiring diagrams which one is yours ... scroll down on the menu to 'wiring diagrams'

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...0Addendums.pdf

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #7

Thank you for the Lutron information. The wiring diagrams in my case are the #1 (single-pole wiring) and #6 (3-way wiring, with control on the line side). Still haven't figured this one out. I have the Ariadni type, which is marketed as the Toggler brand at Home Depot. The model #s are TG-600PR-WH (single-pole) and TG-603PR-WH (3-way). http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lightin...ite-52169.html & http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lightin...ite-52165.html I notice that if the 3-way dimmer is switched on with the dimmer all the way in the on position, the lights will flicker at high frequency. This stops if slider is moved all the way down (lights still on though, as if it were a regular switch).
Old 12-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #8

The issue was the bulbs. Not enough wattage pulled from the eco bulbs to dim them, unless you get the special dimmable ones. Never liked them anyway. Swapped them all out for standard incandescent bulbs and problem solved. Thanks!

Tags
3-way, 600 w, dimmer, halogen