Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #1

Share |

6 wires under one nut - Pass inspection?

I am concerned that I will have six 12 guage wires under one wire nut in order to hook up all the components in my 3 gang switch box. I calcuated that I am Ok with fill requirements.

I am rewiring a bathroom for the following components:

1. 2 outlets
2. 1 exhaust fan
3. 1 main light over sink
4. Nightlight inside exhaust fan
5. Center light in exhaust fan.

I was planning on bringing my power into the 3 gange switch box which has the following switches:

1. Motion sensor for the nightlight
2. Regualar switch for light over sink
3. double switch for exhaust fan and center light in exhaust fan.

I will have 12/2 going up for the fan and another 12/3 wire up to run the center light and night light. I have 12/2 wire runing to the outlets and another 12/2 running to the light over the sink. All wires run from the switch box to the component.

What is the best way to wire this? can I jumper two wire nuts together to reduce the amount of wires under each nut. I don't feel comfortable having that many wires under one nut.

Last edited by hartkem; 08-24-2010 at 07:58 AM.
hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #2

Can't judge what is best but I have often jumpered (pigtailed) together wire nuts so no one wire nut has too many wires in it. More than five wires and there is a good chance one of the wires will end up "in the middle" and not be bitten into by the wire nut spring. Then it has a chance of slipping out.

Pigtails and wire nuts count zero points for box fill (U.S. NEC). But together with something big like a motion sensor (same two points of box fill), your box may be too crowded for comfort. You might want to consider a quad gang box instead of a double switch in a triple box.

How easily can you run power to the receptacles first and daisy chain up to the switch box? Then you do not need a power continuation from the switch box to the receptacles.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-24-2010 at 08:54 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #3

Quote:
How easily can you run power to the receptacles first and daisy chain up to the switch box? Then you do not need a power continuation from the switch box to the receptacles.
The walls are studs only now because I am remodeling. I could easily run power to receptical first. I have to use GFI in the bathroom so this would cause the lights to go out too. Is this OK to do? I think I may put the exhaust fan light and the fan on the same switch so I can reduce the amount of wires in the box.
hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

as long as you use a wirenut that is listed to accept 6 #12 wires, it will pass inspection. An Ideal blue 454 is one such connector.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
zpm
yeah, right

There's also the push in connectors. Ideal and a couple of other companies make them.

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...v=0&l1=push-in
Old 08-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #6

As convenience goes ^ reliability may go \/.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Either Grey or large bleu one will work just fine on this appaction and I have no issue but let me pass a tip on this one please pretwist it then put the Grey or Big Bleu wirenut on it will be much easier to do that way.

When you get done with it then you have to fold it carefull I know it will be stiff but it can be done if you take couple extra seconds.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Either Grey or large bleu one will work just fine on this appaction and I have no issue but let me pass a tip on this one please pretwist it then put the Grey or Big Bleu wirenut on it will be much easier to do that way.
I've used the grey scotchlocks and they have worked well. What I have found to work the best is this:

Strip the wire far longer than necessary, 2-3 inch, this makes it easy to grab and get a good grip on with a big pliers.
Line up all the insulation, grab wire with hand firmly by insulation.
Use the largest pliers you have to twist, I use a 11" for this.
Once twisted, use a good side cutters to cut the exposed wire to the proper length, I cut at a little angle.
Look at the end of the wires, and count that there are the correct number, make sure the insulation did not slide out of position and expose bare wire where it will be below the wire nut.
Twist on wire nut.

If this sounds way too hard, use a Wago.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Totally screwed together

You could also split them up - 3 under one nut and 3 under another - with a jumper between. This gives you two nuts with 4 wires under each, much more managable.

xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote