Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

50A, 30A, and 120V outlet questions

Got an RV spot out behind my shop that a friend of mine stays at while he's not on an oil rig.

Right now his RV is a 30A, but he's eventually gonna' get a second air conditioner and will upgrade it to 50A. At the moment, the wiring is rigged up from the main electrical panel on the back of my shop strung out to his RV spot where there's a 30A female plug lyin' on the ground with a 5 gallon bucket and a brick over top of it. For probably obvious reasons, I'd like to make it a little more official and a little safer! lol

What I'd like to do is get myself an outdoor type metal electrical box thing and attach it to a post or maybe to the fence that's directly behind his RV. What I'm wondering is if I could wire in a 50A, 30A, and 120V outlet all from the same wiring.... The 30A and 50A would never be used at the same time, but on occasion the 30A OR the 50A would be used along with the 120V outlet. In other words, if the 30A is being used, the 50A won't be and vice versa.

What I've got is three wires coming from the electrical box on my shop. A green wire, white wire, and black wire. Right now, there ain't even a breaker hooked up between the plug and electrical box. I'd like to change that. lol I'd like to wire a breaker inside the same box as the outlets so he could have easy access to it in case he needed to shut it off for whatever reason. Or maybe a separate box directly underneath the outlets...?

My friend was the one that requested the 120V outlet if I was gonna' be working on the electrical anyhow. He said that rig power is that way. A bunch of 30A and 50A plugs along with a handful of 120V outlets.

I'm no electrician, obviously, but I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and can learn things semi-quickly. So if this can be done and if ya'll can tell me how, in layman terms, we're in business!

Thanks!

ITSANSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Look here: http://www.milbankmfg.com/Products/C...les/PDF/RV.pdf

U5000-xl-75 looks like the perfect solution.

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 158

no you need 4 wire, 50 amp circuit are 120/240V, you also need 15 or 20A breakers on outside box for 120v outlet (included on prefab rv boxes)
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

deleted
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

The U5000-xl-75 does indeed look to be my best option. More money than I wanted to spend, but it'd be nice to have a professional, safe electrical box.

I guess I'll need a fourth wire...? I wonder how hard that'll be to fish through the underground conduit. Haha

Thanks
ITSANSS is offline   Reply With Quote