DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   50 Amps for a garage help (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/50-amps-garage-help-138004/)

IcyShadowz 03-23-2012 05:29 PM

50 Amps for a garage help
 
Ok so heres what i got. I have a 100 amp box in my house and im thinking i can run a 50 amp double breaker from my 100 amp box in the house to my 100 amp box in my garage that only has 6 spaces. i have 125 ft of 6/3 wireing to run from the house to the garage. What im wondering is if this is my best choice. i plan on useing saws a fridge lights garage door air compressor and for heat in the winter a salamander kerosene/electric heater. i would like to leave room for some extra things if needed. If someone could help me with this. the other thing is i need to know what breakers i should run in my six spaces for the different things i only have 2 lights and a few regular electrical plugs but i would like to have some plugs that would handle larger pulls like for my chop saw and the heater. any suggestions are welcome thanks for the help.

k_buz 03-23-2012 05:37 PM

Is it an attached or unattached garage?

Is the 6/3 romex or UF?

Do you already have this wire?

IcyShadowz 03-23-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 883882)
Is it an attached or unattached garage?

The Garage is unattached from the house it in the back yard about 110ft (really only 90ft but i added an extra 20ft to make sure i have plenty of wire from what i could tell) of wire is needed to be ran from the house breaker in the basement to the garage basement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 883882)
Is the 6/3 romex or UF?

I'm Not really sure which one it is which would you recomend?


Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 883882)
Do you already have this wire?

No that part is still at the store i didnt want to buy it if it wasnt the right thing i needed. The one i saw was at menards 125' of it. Im almost positive that it is Romex. Its black and round unlike uf which is white and kinda flat at menards. I plan on runing either metal pipe or something like that in the ground where it is needed.

Also i only plan on useing 50 amps in the 100amp box is this ok to do the guy at the hardware store seemed knowlageable about wireing and he told me i should be fine.

IcyShadowz 03-23-2012 06:36 PM

Another thing im unsure of is how can i tell if im running 240v or 120v from the house? Im trying to run 240!

jbfan 03-23-2012 06:52 PM

Forget the uf and bury conduit.
Install 3 #6 and one #10 thwn wire.
Install a ground rod at the garage.
Insatll a 60 amp 2 pole breaker in the main panel.
Seperate the neutral and grounds in the sub panel.
Bury the conduit 18" deep.

Do a search on this fourm to find any other answers.

IcyShadowz 03-23-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 883950)
Forget the uf and bury conduit.
Install 3 #6 and one #10 thwn wire.
Install a ground rod at the garage.
Insatll a 60 amp 2 pole breaker in the main panel.
Seperate the neutral and grounds in the sub panel.
Bury the conduit 18" deep.
.
Do a search on this fourm to find any other answers.

OK although that may seem simple to you i have no clue what you are telling me here youll have to think of me as a moron right now because i am just learning. This is what i gather from what you are saying.

Your telling me to buy 3 seperate wires that are #6 and one #10 which im confused on.
Also for the #6 are you talking THHN wire?
your telling me to just run the ground straight to the ground with a rod

The 60 amp are you talking a 60 Amp Double Pole Circuit Breaker instead of a 50 amp will my 100 am breaker handle all this?

what do u mean seperate the netural and grounds in the sub pannel i though there was only one ground ran to the pole. I know there will be more with the wireing in the garage but it looks like your just focasing on the wire ran from one pannel to the other.

Also why would you chose to run this way compared to just running 6/3

k_buz 03-23-2012 07:22 PM

I disagree on the conduit (PVC) in this instance. Being there is a limit on the number of bends allowed without a pull point and the total length of the run, I would suggest 6-3 UF buried 24".

If its a straight shot, he runs 1" PVC with 2 or 3 90's in it, and owns a fish tape I could see using PVC...but I have a feeling he won't know what we are talking about.

rjniles 03-23-2012 07:27 PM

IMO this poster is not qualified to do this work. I know this is a DIY site, but you have to assume some level of ability and this poster does not have the tickets.

k_buz 03-23-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles (Post 883987)
IMO this poster is not qualified to do this work. I know this is a DIY site, but you have to assume some level of ability and this poster does not have the tickets.

Agreed, it would be like me asking how to land a plane.

IcyShadowz 03-23-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles (Post 883987)
IMO this poster is not qualified to do this work. I know this is a DIY site, but you have to assume some level of ability and this poster does not have the tickets.

Well i appriciate you opion but like you said this is a diy site and you got to learn from some where just because i dont understand all the techinal terms doesnt mean i dont know what im doing. And once again i am learning so really this post was pointless if your not going to help theres really no reason to put in your 2 cents. Im not trying to be rude but think of when you started learning things how would you like it if someone came into your part and said what u just did.

For k_buz i have 1 90 and to outside and 1 90 up to the box for the most part is is all straight not really even sure i need the second 90 if i run straight into the garage.

rrolleston 03-23-2012 07:38 PM

Will probably cost you close to $300 for that run just for wire if you use UF wire.

IcyShadowz 03-23-2012 07:39 PM

and k_buz i do know what you are talking about i just learing the types of wireing and what would be best for what im doing i just dont understand all the terms used

IcyShadowz 03-23-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrolleston (Post 883995)
Will probably cost you close to $300 for that run just for wire if you use UF wire.

Ya ive already priced it. I know its a long run for wire but i need to be able to use my shop. Sorry im more of a painter and a roofer. Thanks

k_buz 03-23-2012 07:42 PM

Sounds pretty straight. If your panel is in the basement, I wouldn't come out below grade, you are just asking for a leak.

IcyShadowz 03-23-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 883991)
Agreed, it would be like me asking how to land a plane.

Believe it or not landing a plane is really simple just takes a bit of practice.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.