Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

50 AMP circuit entry through foundation

my question is a rather simple one: when I run the heavy duty ROMEX through a hole in my foundation (I'm running the wiring for a range in conduit outside the house) from a j-box, does that ROMEX need any protection from the concrete? should I be using some special kind of ROMEX kind of like UF which you can bury?

tnx,

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
my question is a rather simple one: when I run the heavy duty ROMEX through a hole in my foundation (I'm running the wiring for a range in conduit outside the house) from a j-box, does that ROMEX need any protection from the concrete? should I be using some special kind of ROMEX kind of like UF which you can bury?

tnx,

NM, (aka Romex) cannot be run outside, even if installed in conduit. so yeah, either use UF, or another wet rated wiring type.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #3

Chris75,
let me explain, then i'll ask again:
going from the panel (outside the house) will be a stretch of 3/4 EMT.(mounted on the house) inside that EMT will be four separate conductors. when the EMT arrives at the spot in the foundation where the wiring will enter through a hole drilled in the concrete,I will mount a weathertight J-BOX. In that j-box I will connect a long enough length of ROMEX to go through the hole and down to the receptacle. my question is whether the ROMEX needs to be protected from the concrete for that short stretch where it goes through the hole. (maybe a foot or so?)

tnx,
Old 05-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Electrician

Gotcha, much better explanation. If I was doing it, I would sleeve the RX in pvc. But in reality, its not a code violation not to, but some may feel its subject to physical damage.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #5

so I'll get a masonry drill big enough to drill a hole that'll accomodate a piece of pvc and run the ROMEX through that. thanks for the info.

tnx,
Old 05-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
so I'll get a masonry drill big enough to drill a hole that'll accomodate a piece of pvc and run the ROMEX through that. thanks for the info.

tnx,
Have fun with that! , the drilling part.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #7

just went to HD. the biggest hammer drill bit is 1", which is just shy of what I'd need to slide in some 1/2 pvc, which would almost accomodate my 50A ROMEX so,needless to say, there'll be no pvc in the concrete but it sounds like ROMEX doesn't need protection from concrete so the ROMEX will simply be run through the hole.

tnx,
Old 05-21-2008, 12:30 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

I might be too late, but your local rental center should be able to rent a larger drill bit than 1" to you, along with a correspondingly larger hammer drill.

IIRC, I rented a 1 3/4 inch bit + a really big Makita hammer drill for around $30 for 4 hours in order to run an 8/3 UF (and a 12/3 UF) through my solid foundation wall out to my detached garage.

Seeing how the only drills I own are an old 9.6v Makita (you know the old-fashioned kind with the really long handle?), and a $20 Harbor Freight electric POS, the rental fee was a bargain for the one time I've actually needed a larger drill than the two I have.
thegonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegonagle View Post
I might be too late, but your local rental center should be able to rent a larger drill bit than 1" to you, along with a correspondingly larger hammer drill.

IIRC, I rented a 1 3/4 inch bit + a really big Makita hammer drill for around $30 for 4 hours in order to run an 8/3 UF (and a 12/3 UF) through my solid foundation wall out to my detached garage.

Seeing how the only drills I own are an old 9.6v Makita (you know the old-fashioned kind with the really long handle?), and a $20 Harbor Freight electric POS, the rental fee was a bargain for the one time I've actually needed a larger drill than the two I have.

actually HD is going to rent me a big hammer drill and a big bit so I can put some pvc in the hole so you're not too late.

tnx,
Old 05-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
actually HD is going to rent me a big hammer drill and a big bit so I can put some pvc in the hole so you're not too late.

tnx,
I'm doing my best to keep up with your multiple threads on this single project. Is this still the 3 #6 and 1 #8 project in the 3/4 EMT? What size romex and how many conductors? The 1/2 pvc is to small for 6-3/wG type NM. I would continue the 3/4 EMT at least to a box inside. Actually, I would run the EMT all the way to the receptacle and have a professional job.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
I'm doing my best to keep up with your multiple threads on this single project. Is this still the 3 #6 and 1 #8 project in the 3/4 EMT? What size romex and how many conductors? The 1/2 pvc is to small for 6-3/wG type NM. I would continue the 3/4 EMT at least to a box inside. Actually, I would run the EMT all the way to the receptacle and have a professional job.

actually,I'm hoping to rent a big enough bit so I can put a piece of 3/4 pvc in the hole to sleeve the NM. The NM is 4 wire (3 plus ground)
now for the outrageous part: I priced the wire at HD and I'm looking at about $375 (plus around 100 for EMT and fittings) the price of gas is bad enough but the price of building materials is going up faster than health care. hope mccain does something!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
Licensed Electrician

I feel your pain there. Prices are getting out of hand. Aluminum and copper must be made of gold these days.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #13

Quote:
I feel your pain there. Prices are getting out of hand. Aluminum and copper must be made of gold these days.

yeah...while I was at HD a guy was pricing an entire roll of #6 solid copper,didn't hear the price but I'll bet the guy's blood pressure dropped to 0 when he heard it!

tnx,
Old 05-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
No. I think gold is cheaper. Around my way wire prices have come done a little from last year.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #15
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
No. I think gold is cheaper. Around my way wire prices have come done a little from last year.
Our prices came down a bit on NM copper but last week they were back up to where they were. Just in time for the summer building season.