Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #1

Share |

5" can lights

I have a hallway approx. 25' long there is now 3 globe lights would like to change to 5" recessed. Will it work to just replace existing or should I add more? I guess the question is what is the recommendation for how close should 5" can lights be to each other? I should mention 8' ceilings. Thanks
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
JOATMON

5" can lights

5 or 6" can lights use basically the same bulb...the 5" look a little better in smaller places....and I think is a good choice in your hallway....

Those 3 cans will be plenty of light....I'm getting great light distribution out of my cans...that is assuming you want to just light the hallway and not light up a beacon to wonder land.....(your bedroom where the kids wonder what you do in there)

Yea....just do the 3 cans....then play around with trims and bulbs as needed for the light you want.

Personally.....I like the directional look cans give a hallway....gives it more 'detail' instead of just a lit up rectangular tube.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-24-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Licensed Electrician

5" can lights

I disagree with the above statement. I don't think it will be "plenty" of light. It may suffice, but recessed lights give off much less light than a standard surface mount fixture.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
JOATMON

5" can lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
I disagree with the above statement. I don't think it will be "plenty" of light. It may suffice, but recessed lights give off much less light than a standard surface mount fixture.
That is actually not an accurate statement....

If you put 60w bulbs in both fixtures..they will both give out 60w of light....

Yes, a surface mount fixture will allow the light to spread out more (depending on what the globe material is)...and a recessed light will be more directional.

But rather than post an opinion without something to back it up...here are a couple of pics of my garage....on the bottom floor I have 16 6"-recessed cans with 23w CFL's in them. I have more than enough lighting....and I don't have issues with directional light. In fact, I find the lights actually help me with woodworking...helps to show up wood seams and scratches better.

Note...those pics were taken with the camera flash off....

My
and
Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

5" can lights

Look into LED disk lights.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #6

5" can lights

Don't want to take out a loan to buy lights.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

5" can lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Don't want to take out a loan to buy lights.
$40 each and you can install on a 4" box without the recessed can. How much will you pay for the recessed can, the trim and bulb?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/6-in-Soft...2#.UhqpcH_9VUo

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...2#.UhqpuH_9VUo
Old 08-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #8

5" can lights

you could always add more and place them on a dimmer, however a hallway doesn't need to be REALLY bright, just enough to see where you are going so you don't trip on the Barbie laying on the ground.
diyer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
JOATMON

5" can lights

I paid less than $7/can...a CFL bulb is $3? Trim $10....

Works out to about $20/light....any surface mount light is going to cost a lot more.....unless you get something real cheap.

My
and
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #10

5" can lights

If you have art or pictures on your walls, depending on how wide your hallway is the cans might not do a good job of lighting up the walls enough to see them. They'll project a good cone to the ground, but will probably miss half of the wall. One benefit to LED's, is they spread the light much wider. We have pictures in our hallway and they would disappear if we used cans with flood or CFLs.
bobgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
JOATMON

5" can lights

I'll just have to take some pictures tonight of a hallway in my iaws house that has a recessed can using a PAR lamp. The is no 'cone of light'. That single bulb provides plenty of light.

Some of you are in inventing problems that don't exist.

My
and
Old 08-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #12

5" can lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I paid less than $7/can...a CFL bulb is $3? Trim $10....

Works out to about $20/light....any surface mount light is going to cost a lot more.....unless you get something real cheap.
you can get a 4 pack of either new construction or remodel, including housing and trims at Menards for $25.00
diyer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #13

5" can lights

i have 6 6" recessed in my new kitchen. with only 2 low watt cfl's in em. i have plenty of light, and no cones
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #14

5" can lights

Are you guys sure about that “no cone” effect?

When I put recessed lights in my kitchen and looked at the manufacturers mini-tutorial on recessed lighting, they talked about recessed lighting producing light cones. The idea is that by spacing the lights properly you can get just the right overlap of cones, such that the lighting is evenly distributed through the area.

That is, as you walk out from the center of the light cone “A” coming from recessed light “A”, towards the center of the light cone “B” coming from recessed light “B”, the intensity from light “A” will decrease while the intensity of light “B” will increase. So by placing the lights at just the right distance from each other you can cause the sum of the light from “A” and “B” to be constant producing a uniform level of light through the area. Or you can space them farther apart and have a certain amount of change in intensity as you move through the area.

Even a wide-flood PAR bulb has a spread of 70 degrees, so even if it was flush with the ceiling seems like you would still get a cone?
agoodboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
JOATMON

5" can lights

Can you show me the 'cone' in this pic?

My
and