DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   400 Amp Panel (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/400-amp-panel-17402/)

ramsfield 02-20-2008 05:11 PM

400 Amp Panel
 
I am a realitively new contractor, and as such, trying to save a few bucks. I am building a new house which will have a single 400 amp panel. The house is 170 feet from the transformer / meter base. Power will be supplied underground. I have been told by the utility that a CT meter base will be required and I will have to use atleast 350MCM from the transformer to the meter base, but they will not tell me the size to use to the house. This is located in Washington State.

Can I use 350MCM from the meter to the house?

Also, I want to bury the wire in coduit. What size conduit, at minimum, do I need to use?

Since this is the first time dealing with current transforming meter bases, I am a little lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Kingsmurf 02-20-2008 05:27 PM

Kingsmurf
 
Friend you didnt state what trade you are in...and I mean no offense here
. .and will assume it is a trade other than electrical . . since this will be Washington specific . . .an excellent opportunity to build bridges . .this IS an item you want professional help with . . . .you've rubbed shoulders with some sparky that will help you in just this part

and since you're going to be doing the work yourself . . .never hurts to have a plan to start with . . .spend a few dollars with that Sparkys company to have some bedrock . .get a plan

Kingsmurf

Speedy Petey 02-20-2008 05:31 PM

So how many of these threads do we need going?

http://www.contractortalk.com/newrep...ote=1&p=382837

ramsfield 02-20-2008 05:42 PM

Speedy, why do you care. If you recall, you sent me here... I posted the question here as directed by you. I did not receive any response from either of the other forums and per your instructions I came here.

lwoodring 02-20-2008 05:48 PM

i think that people that use people with out insurance are not very wise in the construction field. home owners hire people to work around thier home that are not contractors are cutting the full time contractors throat. how would you like your company to hire temperary help? plus no insurance opens up to legal problems .

InPhase277 02-20-2008 05:49 PM

Check your thread on Contractor Talk. There are a few good suggestions there.

InPhase277

ramsfield 02-20-2008 05:54 PM

Thanks Inphase, I signed up for instant notification and it did not send me any notices, so I assumed no one had responded.

jrclen 02-20-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramsfield (Post 99797)
I am a realitively new contractor, and as such, trying to save a few bucks.

No offense but I am thinking you might save a few more bucks contracting this out to an electrical contractor sub. 400 amp and CT metering is out near the edge of DIY. In my opinion.

jerryh3 02-20-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 99802)
So how many of these threads do we need going?

http://www.contractortalk.com/newrep...ote=1&p=382837

I think there's one on the Mike Holt forum too.

jerryh3 02-20-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsmurf (Post 99800)
Friend you didnt state what trade you are in...and I mean no offense here
. .and will assume it is a trade other than electrical . . since this will be Washington specific . . .an excellent opportunity to build bridges . .this IS an item you want professional help with . . . .you've rubbed shoulders with some sparky that will help you in just this part

and since you're going to be doing the work yourself . . .never hurts to have a plan to start with . . .spend a few dollars with that Sparkys company to have some bedrock . .get a plan

Kingsmurf

Do you have something against complete sentences?

goose134 02-20-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

400 amp and CT metering is out near the edge of DIY. In my opinion.
No offense to the OP but 400 A service with CT cabinet is past the edge of DIY. I understand that you want to save a few bucks, but I'm telling you: It is in your best interest to leave this to the pros.

Speedy Petey 02-20-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InPhase277 (Post 99808)
Check your thread on Contractor Talk. There are a few good suggestions there.

This was kind of my point Ram. That is why I included the link. I didn't know if the mods at CT would leave it open or not. That's their call.

Yes, you were advised as to the TOS of the other board, but I did not know that there were several other threads going.

Speedy Petey 02-20-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryh3 (Post 99832)
I think there's one on the Mike Holt forum too.

Oh, they love threads like this over there. :whistling2:

jerryh3 02-21-2008 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 99889)
Oh, they love threads like this over there. :whistling2:

Not really. It was shut down rather quickly.

Speedy Petey 02-21-2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryh3 (Post 99934)
Not really. It was shut down rather quickly.

Hence my little whistling guy..... :whistling2:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved