Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Lost in Space

Share |

40 AMP Breaker Conversation

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine regarding a 40 amp breaker installation for a new double wall oven he is installing. He claims that since the installation instructions state he needs to run an 8\3 wire with a 40 amp breaker that he will install a double 20 amp (adds up to 40 ), I disagree and advised him to call a licensed Electrician because I beleive he needs to install a double 40 amp Breaker.

I have a cold beer riding on this but more importantly I want to make sure he is not making a big mistake.

This is a great forum and I really appreciate all of the advise I get from all of the members!

tOoL jUnKie

Tool Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

You're right with the 40, drink one or 10 for me

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Lost in Space

WOW - thank you for the quick response!! Now that i know Im right by biggest decision is domestic or imorted for the beer? I think I ll go with a Heineken!

Thanks Again!
Tool Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Junkie View Post
He claims that since the installation instructions state he needs to run an 8\3 wire with a 40 amp breaker that he will install a double 20 amp (adds up to 40 ), I disagree and advised him to call a licensed Electrician because I beleive he needs to install a double 40 amp Breaker.
N-DOUBLE-OH. That oven is obviously a 240V appliance which would require a 2P breaker. The breaker is designed to allow 40A thru both sides; it's not additive as your friend incorrectly suggests.

Go collect your beer!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

No problem, I know it's hot out so the sooner those cold ones come the better.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Electrician

Just for fun, dont tell him and let him wonder why the breaker keeps tripping...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Just for fun, dont tell him and let him wonder why the breaker keeps tripping...
And find his post in a few days on the forum entitled "Breaker Trips When I Broil My Weinies"
Old 06-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
When is fishing season?

Quote:
I was having a discussion with a friend of mine regarding a 40 amp breaker installation for a new double wall oven he is installing. He claims that since the installation instructions state he needs to run an 8\3 wire with a 40 amp breaker that he will install a double 20 amp (adds up to 40 ), I disagree and advised him to call a licensed Electrician because I beleive he needs to install a double 40 amp Breaker.

I have a cold beer riding on this but more importantly I want to make sure he is not making a big mistake.

This is a great forum and I really appreciate all of the advise I get from all of the members!

tOoL jUnKie
Your buddie sounds like a good candidate for the Darwin Award.

Does he also want to take 2 16 awg wires and combine them to make an 8 awg? That really wouldnt surprise me.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
Why do you say that? The worst that would happen is the breaker would trip, he's not creating a safety issue by trying to overfuse the wires like other diy'ers sometimes do.

New apprentices sometimes make this same mistake when figuring breaker ampacity. Since the guy isn't even an electrician, it's really not surprising that he got it confused.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
When is fishing season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
Why do you say that? The worst that would happen is the breaker would trip, he's not creating a safety issue by trying to overfuse the wires like other diy'ers sometimes do.

New apprentices sometimes make this same mistake when figuring breaker ampacity. Since the guy isn't even an electrician, it's really not surprising that he got it confused.
The problem is the guy is so confident about it that he even made a friendly wager on it! IMO, if someone has to ask a question like that, they have no business working inside a live electrical panel.

I may ask some silly questions from time to time, but I have the utmost respect for electricity. I would never even consider something that I was unsure about.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

The only thing I will add is your mention of 8/3 wire. The double oven will be one of two voltage configurations for a single family dwelling...120/240 volts or 240 volt only. There will always be an equipment ground wire. However there may not be a neutral required as with 240 volt only. Be sure of the voltage requirements and the correct cable to supply it. 120/240 volt double oven will require four wires 2 hots, a neutral and equipment ground. 240 volt double oven... 2 hots and an equipment ground.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #12

I'm with Chris. Let him use the 2-20's. You still get your beer and a little laugh at the same time.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
Once fried, twice shy.

Quote:
WOW - thank you for the quick response!! Now that i know Im right by biggest decision is domestic or imorted for the beer? I think I ll go with a Heineken!

Thanks Again!
The only really serious problem so far is the beer you have selected.

I've been trying to avoid saying this for ages but you 'septics' simply have no idea when it comes to beer. Drinking Heineken is like having sex in a canoe...f@%cking close to water! When your retarded government allows REAL beer to enter your country at a realistic cost, you may be very pleasantly surprised. REAL beer is made from 'hops' or wheat...not rice.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkangorito View Post
When your retarded government allows REAL beer to enter your country at a realistic cost, you may be very pleasantly surprised. REAL beer is made from 'hops' or wheat...not rice.
Heineken ingredients
Heineken beer is made from the purest ingredients. We use only water, malted barley, hops and yeast.

Directly from the website. And stop bad-mouthing our government! It's not stupid government, it's stupid president!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post

Does he also want to take 2 16 awg wires and combine them to make an 8 awg? That really wouldnt surprise me.
You've got it all wrong here Andy. You have to cut a 16 awg wire IN HALF to get two 8 awg wires. (the formula behind this is 16/2=8)

It's much easier to do with stranded wire than solid wire. Just make sure you count the strands and divide them equally, or else you could wind up with one 7 1/2 awg and one 8 1/2 awg wire.

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote