4 Wire Occupancy Switch Wiring.. FLASHING Lights?? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

4 wire occupancy switch wiring.. FLASHING lights??

I have purchased some enerlites brand decorator occupancy sensing light switches. The 4 wires they have are labeled hot(black) load(red) neutral(white) and ground (green). They are commercial grade and are rated to handle most anything including 1/4 hp motors. The light on hand is wired to the switch with a simple two wire config. i have determined which is the hot wire. However, Im unsure of what to do to be honest. What i did was hook hot to hot, put neutral and load together and connected to neutral. This is the only way the switch will function at all. The light is switched on but the light then flashes like a strobe! I left ground disconnected given that i have to ground to connect to. I tried this on a ballast fixture as well as simple incandescent with the same result. I wired this way in reference to the wiring diagram that comes with the switch. Could it be because of the disconnected ground. I assume I have the wiring wrong. Please help!

Advertisement

darin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I forgot to mention that its not that the light simply flickering. i can actually hear the switch switching on off on off on off.. any info will be appreciated!

Advertisement

darin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,548

Why would you put neutral and load together.
The sensor will not work for your circuit since you don't actually have a neutral wire. The white wire is a power wire as part of a switch loop. You need to pull a new cable or find a different sensor that doesn't need a neutral.
Speedy Petey (12-18-2010)
Old 12-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

JoeD is absolutely right. What you did was very bad; connecting the load and the neutral to what you thought was a neutral. It is not.
WHY would you ever consider connecting a neutral and hot together on anything. I am surprised that you did not blow up the unit.

This is a classic case of having a clue BEFORE you start being a very beneficial thing.

A switch that has only two wires, meaning just black and white, will NEVER have a neutral present.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote