Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

4 way switch troubles

I have followed manuels, on-line tutorials, etc, but am still having issues with my 4-way switch circuit. Switch 1 (3 way) will turn on and off all lights. Switch 2 (4 way) will only turn on and off light C, and switch 3 (3 way) will only turn on and off switch C. I am attatching a crude drawing of set up (on picture blue is white wires). We do have a complicated one with power-switch 1-light A-light B-switch 2-switch 3-light C. Please help!!
Attached Thumbnails
4 way switch troubles-wiring-issues-email-2.jpg  

tspiehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

4 way switch troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspiehs View Post
I have followed manuels, on-line tutorials, etc, but am still having issues with my 4-way switch circuit. Switch 1 (3 way) will turn on and off all lights. Switch 2 (4 way) will only turn on and off light C, and switch 3 (3 way) will only turn on and off switch C. I am attatching a crude drawing of set up (on picture blue is white wires). We do have a complicated one with power-switch 1-light A-light B-switch 2-switch 3-light C. Please help!!
I will keep it short and simple.,,

Is this all new wiring or it is a exsting wiring set up ?

If the new wiring you did hook it up wrong so my simple soluation is run the power source at first three way switch then two shuttle ( travellers ) will go to next fourway switch again the two shuttle will go next three way switch however let me remind you that the dark screw is knowen as common screw ( some case it will be printed but dark colour is useally a giveaway answer ) note that as I describing the connection at all switch points the white conductor is used as netural you will see a second.

Then on last three way switch use the convental 2 conductor NM cable to the luminaires black to black and white to white all the same with three luminarie that will take care of the issue you have there.

If you have tube and knob system stop right there and let us know I know there is other methold to cover on this one but for now just contracted on convental cables.

I will post the photo what is the proper way for 4 way set up.

This is one of my most common methold of connection and you will note the luminarie just hook up black to black and white to white on other luminaires.

Hope that help ya

Merci,
Marc

tspiehs (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

4 way switch troubles

The 4 way switch (in switch box #2) should have two dark terminals. One traveler cable is connected to both light terminals and the other traveler cable is connected to both dark terminals.

Suggestion: Run the 3 wire cables between the switch boxes skipping the light fixtures. Run (2 wire) cable between the light fixtures skipping the switch boxes. One 2 wire cable connects the last switch box to one of the light fixtures.

(If the only convenient route runs by both the switch boxes and the light fixstures then skipping a box means running the cable non-stop around just outside.)

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-28-2012 at 06:14 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
tspiehs (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 58

4 way switch troubles

You can not split the lights up like you have.

I have rewired your drawing, however the actual wiring of this configuration is going to be hard because of the number of wires needed between the switches etc.

4 way switch troubles-threeway-temp.jpg
tspiehs (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Licensed Electrician

4 way switch troubles

This sounds alot like that homework problem someone posted a while back about lights in a mine.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 22

4 way switch troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspiehs View Post
Sounds like you didn't run enough conductors in part of your circuit... If you ran a 4 conductor you would be in good shape. Hope this is still accessible in some fashion to rewire.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 05-28-2012 at 08:13 AM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Licensed Electrician

4 way switch troubles

Mine Lights problem
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #8

4 way switch troubles

will try the new drawing - as for the mine post that is exactly what I do not want. I want the 3 switches to control all the lights and they are not - guess the student should've come seen my issue So just got done rewiring - only took 20 minutes and got it fixed!! Thanks so much! Next time note to self - follow my gut and don't listen to hubby!

Last edited by tspiehs; 05-28-2012 at 09:52 AM.
tspiehs is offline   Reply With Quote