DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   4 way switch issues (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/4-way-switch-issues-128909/)

jcornett 01-05-2012 12:20 PM

4 way switch issues
 
I have one light controlled by 3 switches. I have just installed a new 4 way switch, thinking it was the problem. No difference. The switch marked common will operate the light on/off, but the other two switches will not turn the light off when turned on at the common. The other switch of the three has a slide dimmer. It will not turn the light on or off, just flickers when switched. Should I replace the common and the dimmer switch? If one before the other, which one first? The house is 6 years old and this switch arrangement has worked just fine until one day it started the problems I have described. Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

TarheelTerp 01-05-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcornett (Post 813346)
I have one light controlled by 3 switches.
I have just installed a new 4 way switch, thinking it was the problem.
No difference.

What is the problem?

Quote:

The switch marked common will operate the light on/off, but the other two switches will not turn the light off when turned on at the common.
The other switch of the three has a slide dimmer.

...this switch arrangement has worked just fine until one day it started the problems I have described.

Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
I'd start by removing the dimmer device...
and tracing out the remaining continuity.

When/as you do this... take a couple of photo's and careful notes
of exactly what wire sets (2w vs 3w) are in which box connecting which device etc.
If help is still needed post back with that detail.

hth

jcornett 01-05-2012 12:34 PM

4 way switch issues
 
Thanks for the advice. I will try a new dimmer.

TarheelTerp 01-05-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcornett (Post 813369)
Thanks for the advice. I will try a new dimmer.

I didn't say that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved