Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Share |

4. way switch help

I watched a video someone gave me on Here for 2. way and 3. way wiring and it helped me out a lot.

And it was on youtube so I found the same guy giving another video on 4. way switchs and I understand them to.

Now I know the 4. way switch will go is like this>
3. way switch then 4. way switch then 3. way switch.

The cable going from the first 3. way switch to the second 3. way switch will be cut in the middle.

And this is were you will put your 4. way switch I get all of this.

But in the video I can't see to good how the 4. way switch is wired?

biferi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #2

4. way switch help

It will depend on the brand of switch. It could be side to side or top to bottom. The two traveller wires from one switch go to one pair terminals. The two travellers to the second switch go on the other pair. The neutrals(white) connect to each other and not the switch.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #3

4. way switch help

These switches will have a varied wiring scenario based on where the source voltage enters the circuit.
Where does yours enter? At the light? A switch?
You can look at wiring books from Time-Life, Black & Decker or Home Depot for visuals on the options.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #4

4. way switch help

SWorry if the power is coming from the Breaker to the first 3. way switch then the first 3. way switch go to the 4. way switch then goes to the end 3. way switch.

Here is the video I saw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wknz-...feature=relmfu

I just can't see how he is connecting the wires in the 4. way switch? I know the 4. way switch gets wired in the middle of the two 3. way switchs.

So the feed coming from the first 3. way switch will give Blace White Red Green to the 4. way switch.

And the End 3. way switch will have the same going from it to the 4. way switch.

I just can not see were he puts the Red and Black wires on the 4. way switch.

And I gess the White wirs just go to the Nut and twissted?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #5

4. way switch help

Thanks for all your help but I watched the video over and over and now see how it all works.

But am I right that with the 4. way switch in the video the 2. top screws are the Brass ones and the 2. Bottum ones are the Black ones??
Old 09-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #6

4. way switch help

Quote:
Originally Posted by biferi View Post
Thanks for all your help but I watched the video over and over and now see how it all works.

But am I right that with the 4. way switch in the video the 2. top screws are the Brass ones and the 2. Bottum ones are the Black ones??
The setup varies with the switch manufacturer.
You can't wire this by matching the wires in a video. You need to understand what's going on in the circuit or you'll never get it right.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #7

4. way switch help

The two top screws could be brass in the video. But unless you are using the same brand of switch as the video you need to look at YOUR switch. The two brass screws could be on the same side or on the same end(top or bottom).
Old 10-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #8

4. way switch help

Thank you for the Video you gave me the link to on YouTube for Home Wireing.

Is there any like that but for Phone Wireing that explanes the phone Jack and so on?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #9

4. way switch help

It is usually better not to cut any wires but rather run a new 3 wire cable from one of the existing switch locations to the third switch location. Preferably from the switch location with fewer wires in the box (if that is the case).

The main problem with cutting the existing wire is that the two ends might not reach the switch location with enough slack for wire ends inside the box to make connections with.

Unhook the common wire from of the 3 way switch where the new cable came in and attach it to the same colored wire of the new cable.

Unhook the other two wires from the three way switch, take that switch over to the new location. Over there connect the wire that was connected to the original common terminal wire to the common terminal of the switch. Connect the other two wires to the other, bright, switch terminals.

Back at the location where the 3 way switch was carried away from, get a four way switch. Connect the two new cable traveler wires (new cable loose wires) to the dark terminals and the old traveler wires (used to be on the old switch) to the bright terminals.

(The preceding was oversimplified in that box fill was not taken into account and wire color usage might not be quite right.)

If you did cut the cable/wires going between the two original 3 way switches, the next step is to label the two wires (now four ends) that were connected to the traveler (bright) terminals of the original switches.

The two traveler ends from one side (from one cable) go to the bright terminals on the 4 way switch and the two traveler ends from the other side go to the dark terminals. The remaining two loose ends (one from each side) you connect (back) together. Hint: If these last two ends are not the same color then you made a mistake labeling and connecting the other wires.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-03-2011 at 08:32 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Licensed electrician

4. way switch help

If you cut a cable between the two boxes you are very likely going to need to re-run at least one of the cables to provide the required 6" of free conductor in the box. The other option is to add two junction boxes that must remeain permanently accessible.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #11

4. way switch help

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This picture may.

brgmgb is offline   Reply With Quote