Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #1

Share |

4 tube fluorescent fixture with two bulbs?

I did as good a search as I could on Google. Couldn't find the answer, so I registered here. Seems to be lots of good info, and lots of activity.

I'm going to be lighting my garage. Friend had a stack of 4 foot, 4 tube fluorescent fixtures, gave me a pile of them. They do not use an electronic ballast if it matters.

I don't have a lot of money (reference the free fixtures) so once up and running I'd like to save money. Two bulbs per would would be sufficient for what I need to light. However, I've *heard* that running fewer bulbs than what the fixture has slots for, is detrimental in some way or fashion, although no one can say why...which makes it sound more like a rumor.

However, I'd certainly like to know the real answer. Trading fixture or bulb life for reduced power consumption would be false economy, so I'm hoping someone here knows the real deal.

Thanks! I look forward to any answers you can give!

Dorian

dyeager535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #2

It depends on the fixtures. Some of them have two ballasts. If that is the case then you can use two tubes from one ballast or four tubes from both ballasts.
The option is to open the fixture and check the ballast. It will tell you exactly what the ballast can do.

Last edited by joed; 02-02-2009 at 06:01 PM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Just using 2 bulbs would just be using one of the ballasts instead of both so just disconnect the one you're not using and have it for a spare. If it burns out, you can hook it back up and change the position of the tubes.
You'll just have to test to see which one to wire and which one to disconnect. Most are wired 2 outside tubes, and 2 inside tubes. You'll be ok doing this.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote