Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #1

Share |

4 switches on a single wire

Hi,

I have a 4-gang box with old switches on my main floor and I'm planning on changing the switches. When I looked at the existing wiring I noticed that the incoming current is run through the bottom screw of each switch with a single wire. The wire is stripped in 4 separate spots to allow it to contact each screw. Where the screws make contact with the wire, the wire is not a well shaped U, it really just runs under one side of the screw, barely making contact.

I'm assuming this was done to avoid pigtails and save space. I've never seen this in anything I've read so I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this before. Is this is a safe and common practice?

dukewalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #2

seen it and done it. the person who did yours probably did it in a hurry and didn't put them in a good U shape, and it is posible to a screw to loosen off over time, especially if they were not tightened enough initially. No, there is nothing wrong with this, it takes up less space in a box, and works just fine.

BCSparkyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #3

Thanks very much - that's good to know. I'll install the new switches using the same technique and proper contact for each screw.
dukewalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukewalsh View Post
Hi,

I have a 4-gang box with old switches on my main floor and I'm planning on changing the switches. When I looked at the existing wiring I noticed that the incoming current is run through the bottom screw of each switch with a single wire. The wire is stripped in 4 separate spots to allow it to contact each screw. Where the screws make contact with the wire, the wire is not a well shaped U, it really just runs under one side of the screw, barely making contact.

I'm assuming this was done to avoid pigtails and save space. I've never seen this in anything I've read so I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this before. Is this is a safe and common practice?
Yes,Very common
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

I done the same thing from time to time but not very often like that fashon only time I will do that if the box capaity size is right on the boarderline with the numbers of conductors this is more common with older switch box which it have much less room than new multigang box is.

But only quirk I hate about it is when you add a dimmer switch or fan speed control then you have no choice but make a pigtail for it.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote