DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   4-prong outlet exposed? (

futura 03-14-2008 07:24 PM

4-prong outlet exposed?
Hi, I have an outlet plug in that has 4 plugins for electrical power cords and the cut it around it is too large to put a switch plate cover, it always scares me and seems dangerous without one> wht can I do to fix this?

220/221 03-14-2008 11:00 PM

Remove the cover, patch the plaster/drywall around it and re install the cover seems to be the logical choice.

You MAY be able to find and oversized cover plate.

futura 03-14-2008 11:27 PM

thanks, but there is no cover the outlet thing just hangs out on the wires unless i push it in (not touching the metal).. eek!

micromind 03-14-2008 11:34 PM

If this is 2 duplex recptacles installed side-by-side in the same box, you might be able to use a larger cover plate.

Cover plates come in 3 sizes, standard, intermediate, and jumbo. According to the Leviton (a manufacturer) book, a standard 2 gang (double duplex) plate measures 4.5" high, and 4.56" wide. The intermediate is 4.875" high, and 4.94" wide. The jumbo (it certainly earns its name lol) is 5.25" high, and 5.31" wide.

The intermediate plates look ok, if it will cover the gap, use that one. The jumbos look huge, sort of out-of-place, but it might be the best (least expensive) solution.


micromind 03-14-2008 11:47 PM

Sorry, I didn't see your last post until mine was up.

Are these recpacles in a box? If so, is it about 4"X4"? if so, does it have 4 "ears", each about a inch or so from the sides, protruding inward with small holes in them ? If so, this is where the ends of the recepacles screw in. then a cover plate goes over the whole thing.

If the 4"X4" box has 2 'ears' on opposite corners, (with small holes in them) you'll need an 'industrial cover', aka 'exposed work cover'. The recepacles mount to this cover (it's metal), and it screws to the 'ears' on opposite corners. The other way to mount recptacles to this type of box is to use a 'mud ring'. These come in a veriety of depths, from flat to 2" out. They screw onto the 'ears' of the box, and you screw the recpacles to holes in the ring. You'll need a cover plate to go over the whole thing as well.


220/221 03-15-2008 12:22 PM

Picture please.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1