Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #1

Share |

4-Pin Electric Receptacle - What is it?

I have an odd electric receptacle on the outside of the house I just bought. The prior owner did not know what it is and neither do I. It has 4 holes for a 4 pin plug. The holes are about the size of a pencil lead and in a square pattern about one inch apart. Does anyone know what this is for?

Last edited by mgill30; 09-17-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: misspelled word
mgill30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #2

Yep...it's an old phone jack.

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

You can get the adapters at Radio Shack for it. They hold up a lot better than the cheap plastic RJ-11 plugs, when you move a phone back and forth. But since everyone uses cell phones or cordless, you can actually just kill that. Now what you could do, if you have Internet, and the signal is not that great, or wanting something like a tv that you could watch out there, you could run Coax, Cat-5e or Cat-6, or both.

Since you home pre-dates home computer technology, I would not be surprised if you come across an old carbon fused demarc in the basement if you have one. My dad kept stuff like this in a couple of boxes, due to worked for the telephone company. When he was a lineman, he would scarf the old stuff and save it for poops and grins. To me as a kid, I thought that it was always cool stuff. Of course, my dad's job was really cool stuff, for what he did with the telephone company, and in the Air Force for what he did in that career also.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #4

Thank you both for your replies. As indicated on my post, I am a newbie to this site and I am very impressed. Previously, I could have just asked my Dad (He knew everything!), but he passed away a couple of years ago. I suspected it was an old Bell telephone phone jack. I think I will just remove it. I don't have a telephone land line any more (all cell phone, all the time), so I have no use for it. I will put it on Craig's list as freebie, in case anyone wants it. Again, thanks a lot for your help.
mgill30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

There are some that collect that stuff, so may get a bite. They do make great paper weights, if it is in one of the metal boxes.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote