Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #1

Share |

4 Gang Box AND Two Plugs?

Hey everybody. First post here. I searched prior to posting a thread to no avail. I have a very basic understanding of electrical. Have replaced receptacles, light fixtures etc. but i'm in the middle of wiring a new bathroom added in the basement. Here's a breakdown of what it consists of.

One switch: Controlling one pot above a shower.
One (Dimmer) switch: Controlling one pot in the middle of the room.
One (Dimmer) switch: Controlling two sconces above a sink.
One switch: Controlling a fan.

There is power coming in directly from the fuse box to this 4 gang box. Now what I'm not sure about is, CAN I WIRE TWO PLUGS to this box's power. One GFI near the sink, and one on another wall for other accessories.

To add to the problem, we want to hard wire a towel heater somehow. But have no idea if that will involve the 4 gang or not. Also, I'm not sure if this is getting to be too much for one...power. Our fuse panel is maxed out as is but we were hoping to get this done before having to upgrade to a bigger panel as it will cost us around $1000-1500.

Thanks in advance!

Jackwood185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwood185 View Post
Hey everybody. First post here. I searched prior to posting a thread to no avail. I have a very basic understanding of electrical. Have replaced receptacles, light fixtures etc. but i'm in the middle of wiring a new bathroom added in the basement. Here's a breakdown of what it consists of.

One switch: Controlling one pot above a shower.
One (Dimmer) switch: Controlling one pot in the middle of the room.
One (Dimmer) switch: Controlling two sconces above a sink.
One switch: Controlling a fan.

That is not bad arrangment. see below for more comments.

There is power coming in directly from the fuse box to this 4 gang box. Now what I'm not sure about is, CAN I WIRE TWO PLUGS to this box's power. One GFI near the sink, and one on another wall for other accessories.

As long this is the only circuit for this bathroom it is not a issue at all also it have to be 12 AWG ( 20 amp circuit ) and if you do use deep 4 gang box the wirefill useally not a issue as long you keep it neat.

To add to the problem, we want to hard wire a towel heater somehow. But have no idea if that will involve the 4 gang or not. Also, I'm not sure if this is getting to be too much for one...power. Our fuse panel is maxed out as is but we were hoping to get this done before having to upgrade to a bigger panel as it will cost us around $1000-1500.

Thanks in advance!
The other thing all the receptales in the bathroom it have to be GFCI'ed there is no extempts on them.

As far for the towel heater that useally 200 to 300 watts range but few are lower on wattage rating so check the nameplate for the actual info also some will have it own thermosat or switch if not then you will have to install a switch next to it ( I rather use the timer for this purpose for safety reason )

Hope that help the infomation ya looking for.

Merci,
Marc

Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #3

Quote:
I have a very basic understanding of electrical.
Not a good start to do a complete wire of a bathroom.

Quote:
Now what I'm not sure about is, CAN I WIRE TWO PLUGS to this box's power. One GFI near the sink, and one on another wall for other accessories.
You can put plugs into receptacles. You cannot under any code wire plugs directly into a box's power.
Attached Thumbnails
4 Gang Box AND Two Plugs?-imagesca8ik2kw.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
To clear up the confusion here as Hammer lane post the photo which I do understand your statement saying plugs which I know you are saying two receptales to the box's power which that is the 4 gang switch box that is common to do that as long it is own circuit to the bathroom.

Merci,
Marc
Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #5

Thank you! I sell myself short. I have a moderate understanding of electrical. Installing pot lights and sconces with jumper wires and fans is simple. I was just unclear if I could also have two receptacles as well. (Not inside the box...In there own boxes.) Yes, I definitely meant receptacles and not plug as that makes no sense. The bathroom is on it's own circuit. Thanks again guys!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post

Not a good start to do a complete wire of a bathroom.

You can put plugs into receptacles. You cannot under any code wire plugs directly into a box's power.
Wow! You acknowledge his lack of knowledge and them admonish him for his terminology.
Little harsh with that I think.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #7

^^Haha, I thought so. If anyone has the time to actually explain this confusing wiring though that would be amazing. I'll have to re run the two cables I have for the receptacles as they're 12/2 and need to be 12/3, correct? I'm unsure of which and what will be pig-tailed.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

12/2 is correct for the receptacles. Just run 12/2 NM from the 4-gang box to the first receptacle location, and then from that receptacle to the next one. Connect the cable going to the first receptacle directly to the cable coming from your panel. White to white; black to black. Of course all four switches are also connected to the black wires, and all of the neutrals and grounds are connected too. At the first receptacle location, install a GFCI. Wire the power source to the LINE terminals, and the outgoing cable to the second receptacle on the LOAD terminals. The second receptacle does not need to be a GFCI, since it is protected by the first one.
sublime2 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #9

Thank you so much!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

As far as the actual mechanics of making these connections in that box, I think the easiest way would be to connect all four switches along one piece of black wire, stripping small sections of insulation where the wire connects to the screw terminal. This lets you connect three black wires together (incoming from panel, outgoing to receptacles, and switch power) rather than six (four switches plus incoming and outgoing). All six neutrals and ground will need to be connected though, and the easiest way to accomplish this would be push-in connectors. If you don't like those, you'll have to use at least two wire nuts with jumpers between them because you're not fitting 6 #12's in one nut in that box, even if the blue ones technically allow it.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #11

You've been so helpful. This should be a breeze. Thank you thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackwood185 For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Wow! You acknowledge his lack of knowledge and them admonish him for his terminology.
Little harsh with that I think.

I was not feeling good last night. Did not take my medication. I really laugh when people refer to receptacles as sockets.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
I was not feeling good last night. Did not take my medication. I really laugh when people refer to receptacles as sockets.
Don't be too suprised what the Europeans will call the receptacles as socket or power point either word is very common over here.

Just give you a head up with it.

Merci,
Marc

Tags
box, gang, hardwire, plug