DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   4 Cans & 3 Switches (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/4-cans-3-switches-170734/)

ecommerceaustin 02-01-2013 08:41 AM

4 Cans & 3 Switches
 
Installing 4 ceiling lights and would like to have control of them through 3 different switch locations. I'm confused on how to wire, I have 12/2 wire coming into the primary switch box and so I need help with how to get the other two switch locations tied to the lights.

joed 02-01-2013 11:03 AM

Run power into first switch.
Run 12/3 wires from the first switch to the second switch and then to the third switch.
Run 12/2 cable from the third switch to light one then light two etc.

ecommerceaustin 02-01-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed (Post 1107164)
Run power into first switch.
Run 12/3 wires from the first switch to the second switch and then to the third switch.
Run 12/2 cable from the third switch to light one then light two etc.

Great start....couple of more -

1. (Switch 1 to Switch 2 then Switch 2 to Switch 3) OR (Switch 1 to Switch 2 then Switch 1 to Switch 3)

2. Can the 12/2 (for the lights) start at any of the switches or does it have start from the last switch (#3) in the run of power from the first switch?

Thanks :thumbsup:

Techy 02-01-2013 01:13 PM

1 to 2 to 3, has to start from the '3rd' switch. Unless you use 12/4 cable.

http://ezdiyelectricity.com/images/w...ng-diagram.jpg

joed 02-01-2013 02:41 PM

1. IF you are under the current code requiring neutrals in switch boxes then power to S1 to S2 to S3 to Lights.
2. See #1. If not then lights can attach at any switch.

hammerlane 02-03-2013 06:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecommerceaustin (Post 1107051)
Installing 4 ceiling lights and would like to have control of them through 3 different switch locations. I'm confused on how to wire, I have 12/2 wire coming into the primary switch box and so I need help with how to get the other two switch locations tied to the lights.

You will need two 3-way switches and one 4-way switch. Power comes into one of trhe 3-way location(in diagram below this is the left 3-way). The 4-way switch is wired between the two 3-ways. The 3-way on the right in the diagram is taking the switched power to the lights.

The 3-way location on the right in the diagram may require a neutral at the location depending on your code. The switch itself does not need the neutral to function but newer codes require a neutral at all switch locations.

Also no ground wires shown for ease of drawing.

eastcoastsparky 02-03-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerlane

You will need two 3-way switches and one 4-way switch:

Thats a code violation. Go from s1-s2-s3 then to lights to keep nuetral at everyswitch location

hammerlane 02-03-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastcoastsparky (Post 1108391)
Thats a code violation. Go from s1-s2-s3 then to lights to keep nuetral at everyswitch location

Depending on his current wiring setup...DAMN the neutral at the far right switch location in the above diagram. If the poster is never going to automate or use sensing switches...DAMn the neutral.:thumbup::thumbup:

hammerlane 02-03-2013 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For the code police: neutral at each switch location

k_buz 02-03-2013 07:48 AM

I will argue that a dead end three-way/four-way does not require a neutral since it is a switch loop.


Quote:

404.2 Switch Connections.
(A) Three-Way and Four-Way Switches. Three-way and
four-way switches shall be wired so that all switching is
done only in the ungrounded circuit conductor. Where in
metal raceways or metal-armored cables, wiring between
switches and outlets shall be in accordance with 300.20(A).

Exception: Switch loops shall not require a grounded
conductor.


Jim Port 02-03-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 1108432)
I will argue that a dead end three-way/four-way does not require a neutral since it is a switch loop.

Interesting because (C) seems to contradict the exception to (A). The inspectors and professional forums all talk about needing the neutral, regardless, including the death of a dead end three way.

k_buz 02-03-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 1108458)
Interesting because (C) seems to contradict the exception to (A). The inspectors and professional forums all talk about needing the neutral, regardless, including the death of a dead end three way.


THB, we are still on 2008 so I don't know the ins and outs of it, but the way I read it, neutrals are not needed at dead ended 3/4 ways.

What I find a little curious, is why switch loops is in 3/4 ways, when it is just as, if not more, common to have a switch loop for a single pole.

Jim Port 02-03-2013 08:39 AM

Thb??

k_buz 02-03-2013 08:44 AM

Dyslexia...TBH...To Be Honest

AllanJ 02-03-2013 12:25 PM

Not all boxes in 3 way and 4 way switch loops have raw hot so neutral would
be of limited or no value.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved