Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Share |
3Way switch and power through

(diagram attached)

As a post newbie, I've done two different three way switch projects, I've also done three multiple light switch boxes with multiple power sources and with through power going on to another switched unit. I've worked with canned recessed lighting. And I never proceeded with any of these projects before completely understanding every aspect of the wiring.

And in the past I've gotten stellar and considerate help on a number of occassions from this DIY forum. But I've also usually provided more evidence that I knew what I was doing through context of my wording of the question.

But in this case, I'm just throwing it out here:

I am going to do another 3Way switch project. A canned light at top of steps with switch on top and bottom of steps. The power is going to enter the light unit. But I want a through power line coming OUT of the light unit to go onto the terminus of the line which will be a two outlet plug.

I am attaching a diagram of this configuration minus the through-power coming out of the light unit. I know I'm going to have to piggyback the out line somehow, but I'm not seeing how to get the constant power source for the out line.....do I have to piggy the black to two different points? Just haven't refreshed enough to yet see the power flow correctly in the three way switch to figure it out how to sneak in the through line from the light outlet. And let me know if this idea is ill advised - I don't HAVE to do the through line, though I'd like to.
Attached Thumbnails
3Way switch and power through-3wayswitch.jpg  

DiegoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

If you want unswitched power at the light fixture then you need a four wire cable from the first switch to the fixture.
Feed the onward power direct from the first switch and do not go through the fixture.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoJames View Post

The power is going to enter the light unit. But I want a through power line coming OUT of the light unit to go onto the terminus of the line which will be a two outlet plug.
Your statement does not match the diagram. The diagram shows power entering one of the switch locations.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoJames View Post
But I want a through power line coming OUT of the light unit to go onto the terminus of the line which will be a two outlet plug.
In the spirit of cooperation I am attaching two diagrams showing power entering the light location. The light is controlled be 3-way switches, a cable leaves the light location to power a duplex receptacle.

grounds are not shown for ease of drawing
Attached Thumbnails
3Way switch and power through-33333333333.jpg   3Way switch and power through-4444444.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #5

umm....I would say that was VERY much in the spirit of cooperation. Thanks so much. I copied the wrong side of the page in the book and didn't notice after I posted it because power entering through one of the switches is how I did the last three of these projects. I was envisioning the second diagram you sent me, but may end up with the first. I won't start placing wire until I can draw my own picture complete in the setting of where it's going in the house and fully understand all of the power flow/connections without looking at any other diagrams, in this case, those you sent me. It will come back to me and make sense to me after I have drawn it out a few times on a piece of paper and get into remembering and seeing how it works and I'll use your diagrams. Thank you so much.
DiegoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Hammer,

Article 200.7 of the NEC requires the white to be the supply to the switches.

(1) If part of a cable assembly that has the insulation permanently
reidentified to indicate its use as an ungrounded
conductor by marking tape, painting, or other
effective means at its termination and at each location
where the conductor is visible and accessible. Identification
shall encircle the insulation and shall be a color
other than white, gray, or green. If used for single-pole,
3-way or 4-way switch loops, the reidentified conductor
with white or gray insulation or three continuous
white stripes shall be used only for the supply to the
switch, but not as a return conductor from the switch to
the outlet.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Hammer,

Article 200.7 of the NEC requires the white to be the supply to the switches.
Yeah...I see I never corrected that error on the #4 diagram
Attached Thumbnails
3Way switch and power through-4444444.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 01-27-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #8

Since the NEC also now requires neutrals at all switches, switch loops using the white are not used any more.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Since the NEC also now requires neutrals at all switches, switch loops using the white are not used any more.
The above would work and has worked for the last 40 years. Since now there are sensors and timer to replace switches a neutral would be needed. If I was never going to have a sensor or a timer requiring a neutral I'd say screw the torpedos and run with what i already have there.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
That's true, if your local jurisdiction has adopted NEC 2011.
I'm in Calif and we are still on 2009. (Actually, Calif. Electric code 2010, which is based on NEC 2009) I am sure there are a lot of places where 2011 isn't in effect yet.

Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote