Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #1

Share |

3way switch oops!

Ok ... So drywall is up and wondering if I can salvage this without tearing into everything. So here's what I have:

Power into 3 way switch
14-3 wire to fixture 1
14-3 wire to fixture 2 (oops)
14-3 wire to 3 way switch

With that setup, I basically have only 1 neutral to work with ... Which means I have only one fixture I can make happy and work. Any idea how I can make fixture 2 light up?

Other info ... 15A service on a regular breaker. However... All devices around this are new and on AFCI... so no sharing of the neutrals.
Shaotzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:46 AM   #2

3way switch oops!

Right, you just needed a 2-wire between the lights. So, ignore the RED wire between the lights - it won't be connected at either end.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:49 AM   #3

3way switch oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaotzu View Post
With that setup, I basically have only 1 neutral to work with ... Which means I have only one fixture I can make happy and work. Any idea how I can make fixture 2 light up?
You will just need a pigtail (6" piece of white wire) from the White Neutral entering the first lamp to the second lamp.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

3way switch oops!

Quote:
Ok ... So drywall is up and wondering if I can salvage this without tearing into everything. So here's what I have:

Power into 3 way switch
14-3 wire to fixture 1

Other info ... 15A service on a regular breaker. However... All devices around this are new and on AFCI... so no sharing of the neutrals.
Let me get this correct the power to first three way switch then luminaire *1 then luminare*2 then three way switch ??

If so then it will not really work at all the only way it will work the best is if you take first three way and run 14-3 to the other three way switch then from there you can keep the exsting cable then the luminaires will work that way.

(My prefered way is start at the first three way switch which you have power then run the shuttle conductors { travellers } to second three way switch then run to the luminaires this is about the best way you can do it and plus what more it each switch box location you will have legit netural at switch box { this will be in effect with 2011 NEC code cycle only when your state will adopt it }

Otherwise you will have to bring out 14-2 between the luminaires for the shuttle conductors I will have to find a drawing somehow.

Merci,
Marc
Shaotzu (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 03:58 AM   #5

3way switch oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot

You will just need a pigtail (6" piece of white wire) from the White Neutral entering the first lamp to the second lamp.
That's my problem... I can't get a neutral ran from lamp 1 to lamp 2.

It's kind of what I figured though ... I need some way to get a neutral into lamp 2.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #6

3way switch oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican

Let me get this correct the power to first three way switch then luminaire *1 then luminare*2 then three way switch ??

If so then it will not really work at all the only way it will work the best is if you take first three way and run 14-3 to the other three way switch then from there you can keep the exsting cable then the luminaires will work that way.

(My prefered way is start at the first three way switch which you have power then run the shuttle conductors { travellers } to second three way switch then run to the luminaires this is about the best way you can do it and plus what more it each switch box location you will have legit netural at switch box { this will be in effect with 2011 NEC code cycle only when your state will adopt it }

Otherwise you will have to bring out 14-2 between the luminaires for the shuttle conductors I will have to find a drawing somehow.

Merci,
Marc
Marc,

I prefer power into switches first and then running the power out to the fixtures too. It makes life so much easier! Unfortunately, this one didn't really work out this way and I made the mistake of running only one 14/3 between the fixtures instead of two 14/2s... So now I'm short a neutral!

One question... The end of the run (last switch) is in a box with other switches and neutrals from a different lighting circuit. Not ideal, but if that wasn't on an AFCI breaker, could I tie into a neutral there and run back to my second lamp? (that run I can make)
Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #7

3way switch oops!

You can not tie into a neutral from a different circuit. It would not work even if you could. You still need three wires for the switch and then a fourth wire for the neutral.

There is only one way to fix this. You must pull a new cable. It could be between the fixtures or between the switches.
Shaotzu (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
I=E/R

3way switch oops!

Quote:

Power into 3 way switch
14-3 wire to fixture 1

Is this the path of the cables too?
You only need one neutral but you need two travelers between the switches.
Quote:
Which means I have only one fixture I can make happy and work.
Can you make one fixture work so it is controlled by both switches?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
Shaotzu (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #9

3way switch oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair
Is this the path of the cables too?
You only need one neutral but you need two travelers between the switches.
Can you make one fixture work so it is controlled by both switches?
Yes... This is the cable path as well. And I have no problem getting one light to work ... Just can't get both.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
I=E/R

3way switch oops!

Do you have access to the attic so you can get to the fixture boxes? If so, add a 14-2 between the boxes. That should give you what you need.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #11

3way switch oops!

Do they make a wireless 3 way switch kit? This way you can send raw hot power to the remote switch (#2) using the black wires, send switched power from the load switch (#1) to the lights using the red wire, (and white for neutral).
Shaotzu (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #12

3way switch oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair
Do you have access to the attic so you can get to the fixture boxes? If so, add a 14-2 between the boxes. That should give you what you need.
Unfortunately no. It's a wall sconce in a stairwell and then another one in the basement on the wall. attic is no help.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
Lic Electrical Inspector

3way switch oops!

You could use www.X10.com modules.

Last edited by electures; 06-13-2011 at 09:36 AM.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electures For This Useful Post:
Shaotzu (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
I=E/R

3way switch oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
You could use X10 modules.
This is a useless link...............
Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #15