Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

320Amp double lug meter - (2) 200amp panels

I have enjoyed reading some great info on this site and have my own question:

I have a property that currently has no power to it. I have built a 40x60 metal shop and there is an existing house we are gutting and remodeling.

I want to get power to the shop first and then run to the house in about 6 months. The house is about 75 feet from the shop.

The poco is bringing underground to the shop where I have a 320/400 meter http://www.milbankmfg.com/products/C...s/PDF/1797.pdf . The shop has a 200A main disconnect panel and the house will have also have a 200A main disconnect panel.

Since I am going to delay running power to the house until we get it ready, my thoughts are as follows:

1) I can run only the shop from the meter. When it comes time to hook up the house, I will need the poco to open the meter again and then do the house connect.

2) I could run a main disconnect out of the meter and then do the house connection when ready. This would avoid having the poco have to get into the meter again.

My questions are :

A) Am I ok with not providing a main disconnect (option#1) from the meter to the house? The main panel in the house will be the disconnect but of course the line from the meter to the house will be "unprotected". I have read that there is "no limit" on the run length (given proper wire sizing) between meter and panel on outside runs. I am open to whether this is correct information or not.

A) any other thoughts or gotchas I need to consider?

Thanks for any info.

1texasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Lic Electrical Inspector

What state are you in?

electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

The services will need to be grouped. You could mount 2 disconnects at the pole for this. You would then run 4 wire feeders to each building.

With the disconnect at the pole you could leave the breaker turned off until the house was ready for power.
1texasguy (06-14-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
What state are you in?

electures - if that is a joke, then the answer is "anywhere but new jersey"

if it's not a joke, the answer is "texas".

1texasguy
Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The services will need to be grouped. You could mount 2 disconnects at the pole for this. You would then run 4 wire feeders to each building.

With the disconnect at the pole you could leave the breaker turned off until the house was ready for power.

Jim, thanks.

Here is a photo showing the outgoing feed - similar in concept to what I am doing - ***not my picture***. The meter is mounted on my shop - my incoming feed is underground. One feed is going to the 200A main breaker panel in the shop through the back of the meter box via an 8" nipple, the other will go to the 200A main breaker panel at the house - underground about 75 feet away. My question is "do I need a disconnect between the meter and the house? I know it would be advantageous as I wouldn't have to have the POCO come back out to pull the meter so I could connect in the box when I am ready to make the run to the house, but is it required? And if anyone could point me to code, that would be beneficial - I am always up for education.

Last edited by 1texasguy; 06-14-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Read NEC Article 230.70 and 230.72.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Read NEC Article 230.70 and 230.72.
Jim, if the conductors are leaving the meter and going underground to the house, do you maintain that a disconnect is required at the meter?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

That is the way it is interpreted here. I set 2 4/0 cables here for a house and a future barn. The disco and a panel sit next to each other in the garage.

I also had one where the service needed to move and add a panel for an addition. Same thing, different jurisdiction. Two 4/0s out of meter into side by side panel and disco. The disco fed the old panel at the other end of the house (old service panel).
Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Personally I would prefer a meter main. That said, I was am under the impression that service conductors outside the structure or underground do not require a disconnect or an OCPD until they enter the structure.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

What I did for the last one, was meter, disconnect on each side of the meter, then feed to each panel in the house.
Inspector happy, HO happy, Poco hapy, me happy with the pay!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1texasguy View Post
electures - if that is a joke, then the answer is "anywhere but new jersey"

if it's not a joke, the answer is "texas".

1texasguy
Wow! I completely missed that one! I love the Great Police State of New Jersey! (NOT!).
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 AM   #12
" Euro " electrician

This will get little trickier to deal with class 320 service ( you have to check the POCO for their specs on this one before you get the meter socket on this size )

There are few way you can do this is .,,

Choice *1

Have a 320/400 meter socket and have a load centre for your shop and have a disconnect switch next to it for the house when you bring it in later { you will have to use 4 conductor feeder to the hosue panel and you can not use the same size conductor as from meter to main breaker this will get you if not carefull }

Choice *2

Have meter/main combo. This set up will have two main breakers right below the meter socket and have one breaker for your shop panel and second breaker to the house panel { just make sure you are aware that you will need 4 conductor for both panels }

Choice *3 ( only if POCO appprove this load centre )

Have a 400 amp all in one panel which you will have one part is your load centre and second main breaker to the house.

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #13

thanks to everyone for input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
This will get little trickier to deal with class 320 service ( you have to check the POCO for their specs on this one before you get the meter socket on this size )

There are few way you can do this is .,,

Choice *1

Have a 320/400 meter socket and have a load centre for your shop and have a disconnect switch next to it for the house when you bring it in later { you will have to use 4 conductor feeder to the hosue panel and you can not use the same size conductor as from meter to main breaker this will get you if not carefull }

Merci,
Marc
Question - why a 4 conductor feed to the house? And the bigger question that also shows my ignorance is what is the 4th one for and where does it connect?

The photo above shows what appears to be normal (3 conductor) 200A supply lines from the meter.

FYI - for those concerned, I will have my electrician do the hook-up - I am just doing the planning and getting the physical pieces in place at this time. I know my limitations.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
Licensed electrician

Any panel after the service needs to be fed with 4 wires, 2 hots, an insulated neutral and a grounding conductor. The neutrals and grounds will be isolated in any panel that is not service equipment.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1texasguy View Post
thanks to everyone for input.

Question - why a 4 conductor feed to the house? And the bigger question that also shows my ignorance is what is the 4th one for and where does it connect?

The photo above shows what appears to be normal (3 conductor) 200A supply lines from the meter.

FYI - for those concerned, I will have my electrician do the hook-up - I am just doing the planning and getting the physical pieces in place at this time. I know my limitations.
To understand this better you have to know that there are service conductors and feeders.
Service conductors are not protected by a breaker
Feeder are protected by breaker.
In your picture the wires leaving the meter base are unprotected wires and go somewhere to a Service panel the is Labeled and Listed as Service Equipment. You do not have to carry a ground with these wires.
Feeders are connected to a breaker in a service panel and you have to carry the ground along with the three conductors. If the feeders go to a detached structure that structure will also require ground rods.

Last edited by a7ecorsair; 06-15-2011 at 08:27 AM.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote