Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

320 amp meter

Ok, I tried looking this up but I have not been able to find a reliable answer. I am building a new house and having 320 amp service ran back to my house underground. I am wanting to install a permanent meterbase so I don't have to pay a $200 dollar temp service fee connection. I can buy a meter without a disconnect for about $250. My problem is how do I kill thew power from my permanent base to my temp connection to install the permanent connection to my house. Does that make sense?? Am I going to need to buy a 320 amp disconnect to go on the bottom side of my meter? .. and if I do how much is a 320 amp disconnect? The meter base does not a disconnect in it. I need s ome help figuring this out, I know some electrical, but it is mainly inside the house. I have never messed with the service side of it. Also I have no inpscetion issues, but I still what to follow the NEC code. Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks all.
Jon

JONBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

320 amp meter

you only have 2 choices:

install a disconnect after the meter (but unless you can mount that permanently, it will not benefit your situation) or pay the disconnect/reconnect fee when you are ready to swap over.

have you priced a meter main? that would do what you want.

here is just one example of what I am speaking about but if you are using only 1 panel, you would want one with a single 400 amp breaker. This one (in the link) would allow you to feed 2-200 amp panels directly from this point:

http://www.milbankmfg.com/products/C...s/PDF/5059.pdf

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

320 amp meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOY View Post
Ok, I tried looking this up but I have not been able to find a reliable answer. I am building a new house and having 320 amp service ran back to my house underground. I am wanting to install a permanent meterbase so I don't have to pay a $200 dollar temp service fee connection. I can buy a meter without a disconnect for about $250. My problem is how do I kill thew power from my permanent base to my temp connection to install the permanent connection to my house. Does that make sense?? Am I going to need to buy a 320 amp disconnect to go on the bottom side of my meter? .. and if I do how much is a 320 amp disconnect? The meter base does not a disconnect in it. I need s ome help figuring this out, I know some electrical, but it is mainly inside the house. I have never messed with the service side of it.
All this to save $200??? You are going to spend WAY more than that trying to avoid it.

If you go with a regular meter pan why can't you just have the POCO do a disconnect/reconnect when it comes time to run permanent to the house? Is that where the $200 comes in?

In any case the fact that you have absolutely no experience with services suggests you might be better served have an electrician do this part of the job. A 320/400A underground service is not what I would call a typical DIY job.

Quote:
Also I have no inpscetion issues, but I still what to follow the NEC code.
Your profile says St. Louis. I have a hard time believing this even in the suburbs of St. Louis.
What do you mean by not having "inspection issues"? This is obviously new home with a 400A service. You mean to tell us you are not getting anything inspected???
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #4

320 amp meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
All this to save $200??? You are going to spend WAY more than that trying to avoid it.

If you go with a regular meter pan why can't you just have the POCO do a disconnect/reconnect when it comes time to run permanent to the house? Is that where the $200 comes in?

In any case the fact that you have absolutely no experience with services suggests you might be better served have an electrician do this part of the job. A 320/400A underground service is not what I would call a typical DIY job.

Your profile says St. Louis. I have a hard time believing this even in the suburbs of St. Louis.
What do you mean by not having "inspection issues"? This is obviously new home with a 400A service. You mean to tell us you are not getting anything inspected???
The $200 comes in to connect to a temporary construction panel. It is free for them to connect into a permanent meter base.

How am I going to spend more than $200 trying to avoid the temp connection, I am curoius? I still have to buy a meter base, and I still have to buy the wire to run into my 2-200 amp panels.

Well I live out in the country over in IL, but if I say IL then everbody goes oh you live in Chicago. The only thing that is being looked at/inpsected is my septic system, nothing else is being inspected by local authorities.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #5

320 amp meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
you only have 2 choices:

install a disconnect after the meter (but unless you can mount that permanently, it will not benefit your situation) or pay the disconnect/reconnect fee when you are ready to swap over.

have you priced a meter main? that would do what you want.

here is just one example of what I am speaking about but if you are using only 1 panel, you would want one with a single 400 amp breaker. This one (in the link) would allow you to feed 2-200 amp panels directly from this point:

http://www.milbankmfg.com/products/C...s/PDF/5059.pdf

Yes I have priced the meter main, it is about $250. The meter main does not come with a disconnect as far as I know. Also I plan on running 2-200 amp panels in the hhouse once it is finished.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,504

320 amp meter

I say cut something else to save the $200. Pay for the temp power. If you need a 400 amp service this is no small house. $200 will be wasted in labour alone with a mickey mouse setup.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

320 amp meter

Quote:
Yes I have priced the meter main, it is about $250. The meter main does not come with a disconnect as far as I know. Also I plan on running 2-200 amp panels in the hhouse once it is finished.
apparently you did not look at what I posted. It it most definately has a main disco.

btw: that is what a meter main is. Is is a meter base with an integral disconnect.

sounds like you need an electrician so I'm bowing out on any more here. Last thing I want to do is teach a guy how to fry himself.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

320 amp meter

The only thing that comes to mind to me, is to set the meter and two 200 amp disconnects on a remote permanent post/board setup. From there, you can run the service to each panel in the house.

It wont really save you money though.

I have to agree with the other posters, this isnt an area to try to save $200.

The idea sounds good, until you actually try to implement it.

Are you asking them to install 400 amp of temporary service?

I imagine the $200 is coming in from them having to splice in the permanent connection under ground to your permanent meter on the side of the house....for them to send a crew out to do this for $200, is darn cheap if you ask me.

Last edited by AndrewF; 02-04-2010 at 10:20 AM.
AndrewF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #9

320 amp meter

Thank you for the information. One thing I have noticed this is s DIY forum, and pretty much every post that I read they say to hire someone to do the work for you??? Doesn't make much since to me, but I am thankful for the information.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

320 amp meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
The only thing that comes to mind to me, is to set the meter and two 200 amp disconnects on a remote permanent post/board setup. From there, you can run the service to each panel in the house.

that is the exactly the meter main I linked, all inclusive and code compliant but somewhere the OP does not understand what a "meter main" is so I will leave it at that.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

320 amp meter

Quote:
Thank you for the information. One thing I have noticed this is s DIY forum, and pretty much every post that I read they say to hire someone to do the work for you??? Doesn't make much since to me, but I am thankful for the information.
it is because, especially with electricity, a little bit of incorrect knowledge will get you killed. We help those that show enough knowledge and understanding and willingness to listen to reason how to do things. When we see folks, like yourself, that do not seem to understand how serious death is and is willing to do crazy things to try to save a buck (which you really won't anyway with your intended methods) we tend to back off.

like I said, the last thing I want to do is help somebody kill themselves.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #12

320 amp meter

Ok somewhere along the way I said something wrong to make people upset. I am sorry. I am knowledgeable about electricity. I am not some idoit that says lets take this wrench and connect the 2 lugs together to watch it spark. I have been going around in cirlces with the POCO for the last 2 weeks trying to find a meter base that is approved by them for their meter to fit in it. I have not been able to find a meter base that is approved by them (ameren), or a meter base that a electical supply store sells with a disconnect built in it. So I asked the question here do I add a disconnect or use the temp service, and it has just gone downhill from there. I have come to the conclusion that i will be using the temp service and pay the $200. The reason for this is a meter base that a has an intagrated disconnect is about $650 from my supplier. which is much more that the 200 bucks I would be saving. And actually I won't be installing it myself my friend how is an electrician will there to help me install the meter base. I was just looking for information to learn more about how to do things. Sorry for any confusion. and I am thankful for the help.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #13

320 amp meter

You may find that many here shy away on instructing DIY when it comes to Service Feeds
It does take on a whole new level of responsiblity/difficulty
Here the Building Inspector required an electrician to do the work for liability reasons
IE I'm OK doing the work but I think they have found that bereaved spouses will sue
I could have done it as it was a new buried run & the old run would stay intact until the POCO disdonnected the old & connected the new

Good luck with the project
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

320 amp meter

Oh, so now you know what a meter main is and that is does have a disco in it. You just don't like the price. That is far different than saying a meter main does not have a disco in it, which I showed to be wrong right in the link I put in my response.

Quote:
A bit confused there, aren't you?

electricity kills. Sad to say, I have lost a few friends to it and they were and I am pro's.

reading your posts and responses simply conveyed a lack of understanding of the situation to such a great extent or an intentional attempt to deceive that all I saw was death.

sorry but I don't like helping folks commit suicide.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

320 amp meter

What it sounds like you are talking about is a 320A continous 400 A surge meter can. Which you will have 2-200A main panels fed off of when you are done. Is this correct?

What you may do is ask your local jurisdiction what their requirements are for temp power. Such as Panel locked, all doors and windows in house lockable, a rec gfci at the source, etc. They may accomadate you. The only problem is you may have a monthly fee every 30 days to do this. It would be much cheeper to do your $200 saw service.

codeone is offline   Reply With Quote