Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #1

Share |
Question

30AMP circuit breaker tripping

Gremlin recently emerged in the electricals at home.

30AMP breaker (the main one on the fuse board) is tripping randomly. There's no obvious cause that I can determine. It isn't happening when something obvious like the TV, washer or light switch is turned on. (The kitchen extension is on a separate ring with its own fuse board, this is OK - so I guess its not fridge compressors etc kicking in). Can just be sitting there and it trips.

What's also odd is that none of the individual circuit breakers are tripping - its only the main 30AMP one, which would suggest a big surge?

My current thinking is that the 30A breaker itself is defective and just to replace that first to see what's happening, before trying to run down the gremlin otherways. Any thoughts? Ideas welcome!

Fletcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

I do hope that's a sub panel, and not your main panel. Either way sounds like there is too much current being drawn by everything, but not too much to trip just one circuit. Ex: all circuits might only be drawing half of their capacity, but it still adds up more then 30. May want to consider upping that breaker size BUT ensure the proper size feeder is installed.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #3

find someone with a clamp-on ammeter and have them read your line for awhile. if it approaches 30 amps occassionally then you are likely overloading you main (?) ocp. or, go around and try to add up everything (amps) that is on that panel and see what you get.
TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Mad Scientist

From the terms you're using, can we assume that you're in the UK? It helps if you fill out your profile so we know your location. There are lots of big differences between various places.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
From the terms you're using, can we assume that you're in the UK? It helps if you fill out your profile so we know your location. There are lots of big differences between various places.
Quote:
(The kitchen extension is on a separate ring with its own fuse board, this is OK - so I guess its not fridge compressors etc kicking in).
I'm betting the same. That and the 30 amp main. Dang, I don't know if I have ever seen anything less than a 40 here is the US and I haven't seen one that small in many many years.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

The quickest give away is the ring circuit they typically have either 30 or 32 amp circuit and It supposed to be on RCD per UK latest codes.

I have a feeling that someone did borrow the netural or hot conductor from the ring circuit to use something on it.

Sure the Circuit Breaker can go bad over the time simaur case with fuses { escpally with renewable they are the worst and they will not allow new circuits with renewable fuse link types }

I strongly recomoned that you get a hold of electrician and they can run the megger test to make sure there is no short or anything can affect the circuit.

That is my SOP in France to run the megger real quick to sort out the issue.

Merci.
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote