Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

30 amp wiring ? help

Needs some help w/ wiring
I have a 30amp single leg 120 volt circuit breaker in house panel box that feeds power though a 3 #6 wire awg to my outside building into a sub panel that supplies power to one light and one 15 amp power outlet (Going to have bigger building built later on and have 240 volts to sub panel but for now only had 120 volt circuit run).
I have a 40'cedar Tree going to light going to take 7000 mini lights.
I have done the math w/amps and watts and going to be pulling 22.amps though 30 amp breaker using same kind of 3 #6 wire as above
run wire from sub panel to tree 75 feet apart.
My question is what is the best way to split the 30 amp wire when I reach the tree into two 15 amp circuits where I can use two 20 amp timers to control lights.
Thanks for help

smith58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

30 amp wiring ? help

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith58 View Post
My question is what is the best way to split the 30 amp wire when I reach the tree into two 15 amp circuits where I can use two 20 amp timers to control lights.
Use two breakers in the sub panel feeding two new circuits.
You CANNOT use a 30 amp breaker to directly control general receptacles.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:29 AM   #3

30 amp wiring ? help

You could get a small outdoor sub panel to mount at the tree. the you could take two circuits out of the sub panel to feed the lights with a 15 or 20 amp circuit each.

You would need at least a number 10/4 cable as your grounds and neutrals would have to be seperated at the sub panel. You would also need a ground rod at the tree.

The second option is mentioned above. Run a 12/3 wg from the sub panel in the garage to the tree. Put in two 20 amp breakers, and share the neutral at the tree recs.
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
Oldguy

30 amp wiring ? help

Thought about using LED lights? they are a little more expensive but use very little electricity ( and they last a lot longer)

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote