DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

3 wire stove connection

20K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  joed 
#1 ·
I am installing a service for an electric stove and went to Lowes and told them I needed 55' of 3-wire for a stove service. What they sold me contained 2 6-gauge wires with a 12 gauge ground. I now looked in my daughters breaker panel and see that her stove service contains 3 6-gauge wires (not 4-wire). Can the 2 6-gauge wire with a 12-gauge ground be used for a stove service?

#7 ·
At the risk of repeating myself...you need to use a 4 prong plug and go get the correct cable for that plug...3 (#6) with 1 (#10).

Can't speak for everyone else, but if you're not going to do it right, then I'm not going to help you do it wrong. You're on your own...good luck.

#8 ·
Yes lowes sold you the wrong wire, and as jproffer has said, we are not going to tell you how to do the work unsafely, or illegally.

If you did specify range wire, when you bought the wire, then take it back for replacement. While you are there get a four prong range receptcle and four prong range cord.

Once you have all the parts, feel free to post back and we can help you regarding how to properly wire them.

#11 ·
What we are talking about is the elimination of an exception.

Grounds and neutrals have always had to be kept seperate from the service enterance point on.

There was an exception for ranges and dryers that allowed the ground and neutral to be on the same wire under certain circumstances.

That exception has gone away.

If the appliance has not neutral, then the exception was never an issue so nothing at all has changed.

the original exceptions were for just ranges and dryers.

#12 · (Edited)
Old vs. New

If you were to install 3 6-Gauge wires; (black, red, white or even 2 black and a bare neutral) into a 3 conducter receptacle, you would have the same wiring as the majority of stoves in America...all legally wired before 1996 and perfectly safe unless one of the hot wires would ground to the appliance sheet metal (unlikely)...the code is constantly changing for political reasons (i.e, perfect safety over reasonable expense) Note that all the "illegal" 3-wire stoves are still in service..If I had an old stove with a 3-wire plug and a house built before 1996, I would be happy with a 3 wire setup if the cost of a 4-wire range cord etc. ($25) was an issue...this is political correctness in the building industry to think man must be saved from any risk..do you have a range anti-tipover fitting for your old stove, too? etc...etc..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.