3 Wire Romex For Single Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

3 wire romex for single switch

I have a light switch plug combo over my bath sink. I pulled the combo switch (it's not a GFCI) intending to place a single switch in it's place. The red connected to the plug, the black to the switch with a common white (red and black are hot). Do I pigtail the black and red together for the single switch feed? Thanks.

Advertisement

jraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,206

More than likey the red and the black go to the new switch with the white wire nutted and buried in the box.

Advertisement

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraf View Post
I have a light switch plug combo over my bath sink. I pulled the combo switch (it's not a GFCI) intending to place a single switch in it's place. The red connected to the plug, the black to the switch with a common white (red and black are hot). Do I pigtail the black and red together for the single switch feed? Thanks.
which of the wires had the tab between them. It's possible the the red is a switch leg and the black fed both the switch and the plug. This scenario to me seems most likely if there's only one three wire in the box. If they had feed the plug with the red and the switch with the black then they would have needed another wire to act as a switch leg being as the white was needed as a neutral.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraf View Post
The red connected to the plug, the black to the switch with a common white (red and black are hot)..
The red is the power supply for the plug (receptacle) and also for the switch.

The black goes to the light that the switch controls.

The white is the neutral needed for the plug. Since you are installing a plain switch, the white is not needed any more. Tape or wire-nut the end all by itself and curl that wire up uncut in case the next owner of the house wants to put a plug there again.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the info. Worked out great. JF
jraf is offline   Reply With Quote