Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #1

Share |

3 ways switches for ceiling fan/light

Please Help!!
I am looking run my ceiling fan/light fixture with 3 way switches. I want to wire them so they work independently of one another. I have 2 -3 way dimmers for the light and 2 -3 way fan switches with speed control.

Based on some other online information I gathered, this is the way I have the wires run.

switch box 1: 12/2 feed with a 14/3 and 12/2 running to switch box 2

switch box 2: receiving the 14/3 and 12/2 from box 1 and a 14/3 running to the fixture.

Is this wiring scheme correct? I then followed the offered instructions on how to connect all the wires but neither the fan nor the light is working.

This is on a 15 amp circuit.

Please help so I can put my kitchen back together.

thanks,
brianr92

brianr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr92 View Post
Please Help!!
I am looking run my ceiling fan/light fixture with 3 way switches. I want to wire them so they work independently of one another. I have 2 -3 way dimmers for the light and 2 -3 way fan switches with speed control.

Based on some other online information I gathered, this is the way I have the wires run.

switch box 1: 12/2 feed with a 14/3 and 12/2 running to switch box 2

switch box 2: receiving the 14/3 and 12/2 from box 1 and a 14/3 running to the fixture.

Is this wiring scheme correct? I then followed the offered instructions on how to connect all the wires but neither the fan nor the light is working.

This is on a 15 amp circuit.

Please help so I can put my kitchen back together.

thanks,
brianr92

You can not use the dimmers/fan speed controls at both locations. Use regular 3 way switches at on end of each circuit.

Wiring: At box 1 connect the white feed to the white of the 14-3, at box 2 conect the white of the incomming 14-3 to the white going to the fixture box.

At box 1 connect the black feed to the commons of both 3 ways (regular 3 way or control switches). Connect the red and black of the 14-3 to the travelers of one of the 3 ways. Connect the white (tape white with black tape to show it as hot)and black of the 12-2 to the travelers of the other 3 way.

At box 2 connect the incoming travelers from box 1 to the travelers of the 3 ways (regular or control switches). Connect commons of the 2 switches to the red and black to the fixture box.

At the fixture box, connect the white to the white, Black wire to black of the fan (fan motor) , connect the red wire to the blue of the fan (light fixture). You may need to swap the red and black depending on which circuit is the speed control and which is the dimmer)

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #3

Thanks!!
I originally had the boxes and fixture roughed in properly then i read something on line that was wrong and i changed it!!! UGH!!!

I'm hanging some ceiling rock now and getting back to the electric in a bit...I noticed that I can't use two fan controls also....I think I am rushing a bit and missing a few details here and there...

Thanks again for the post....i'll let you know how i make out....

cheers
brianr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

This was also explained on the other forum you posted on.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote