DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

3 way switch to split receptacle

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Jrhenry24 
#1 ·
Hi, i am wiring a three way switch to a split receptacle. The order of the circuit is power to switch one to switch two to split receptacle outlets. I have 12/2 from power to the first switch. I have 12/3 from switch two to the outlet. Due to drywall issues my only option is running cable from swtch one to switch two. I need a 12/4 cable but it is not sold around here under 250'. Will it be okay for me to use two 12/2 cables. One for the traveler wires without a neutral and one for the neutral and hot to the always hot half of the split receptacle?

#3 ·
Power to switch one to switch two to outlet one split receptacle bottom half switched. Cables all must be run in that order only. Already have power to switch one and 12/3 cable from switch two to outlet one. Need 12/4 from switch one to switch two but its not sold in fifty foot lengths. Is it acceptable to use two 12/2 cables or is it necessary for safety to run one 12/2 and one 12/3?

#8 ·
you're using 12AWG wire, so keep in mind box capacity.
using plastic boxes on this set up you will have about 8 conductors in box #1

i dont recall if wire nuts are counted as 1

what size box would you recommend Stickboy?? 22 cu. in. or larger??

#13 ·
Yes power is already to switch one from original wiring. Hvac runs directly under switch two and power is from the basement. I have an 18 cubic inch box in switch two. The original electrician from the 70s had a california three way with one lose unsheathed hot wire between switches and outlet four had (3)12/3 wires plus an outlet in an 18 cu inch metal box. Drywall is knockdown texture and hard to match unless i redid the entire wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.