DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   3 way switch (shocked) (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/3-way-switch-shocked-156787/)

rcimemphis 09-14-2012 11:28 AM

3 way switch (shocked)
 
Ok so I wanted to redo my kitchen because my wife hate the old one, so i riped all the cabnits out and replaced the drywall. Then i ran into something the internet is calling a 3 way switch. Well i read on how it work and wired it back up but each time i turn the switch on it popes the breaker. any and all help would be nice. It has a Red Wire if that means any thing.

also been shocked 2 times now

Joel

DannyT 09-14-2012 11:38 AM

obviously it isn't wired like it was before you removed it. we can't see it from here, pictures are very helpful. for future reference take photos before disconnecting things and never take apart more then you have to. is there more than just a red wire?

rcimemphis 09-14-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyT (Post 1009781)
obviously it isn't wired like it was before you removed it. we can't see it from here, pictures are very helpful. for future reference take photos before disconnecting things and never take apart more then you have to. is there more than just a red wire?


Yes im sorry new to this

There are 2 black ones and 1 red one. Also this home was built in 1979 so all the wiring has been mest up. someone went in and added lights and one of the switches is set to + and the other is -

Gac66610 09-14-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcimemphis (Post 1009797)
Yes im sorry new to this

There are 2 black ones and 1 red one. Also this home was built in 1979 so all the wiring has been mest up. someone went in and added lights and one of the switches is set to + and the other is -

So the red wire is tied to the common on the 3-way switch (darker screw)
and the 2 black wires are tied to the brass colored screws?

edit: Were all three wires used on old switch?
Do you have a way to test voltage?

hammerlane 09-14-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcimemphis (Post 1009775)
Then i ran into something the internet is calling a 3 way switch.

The internet is not calling it a 3-way switch. It is a 3-way switch.


Quote:

Originally Posted by rcimemphis (Post 1009775)
Well i read on how it work and wired it back up but each time i turn the switch on it popes the breaker.

You did not understand how it works if when you wired it back up it "popes" the breaker"

hammerlane 09-14-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcimemphis (Post 1009775)

Ok so I wanted to redo my kitchen because my wife hate the old one, so i riped all the cabnits out and replaced the drywall. Then i ran into something the internet is calling a 3 way switch. Well i read on how it work and wired it back up but each time i turn the switch on it popes the breaker. any and all help would be nice. It has a Red Wire if that means any thing.
Joel with


If you are going to promote your company, at least read your post so as to check for some spelling errors.

joed 09-14-2012 02:39 PM

There has to be more than three wires in the box. With only three wires there no way to hook it up so it pops the breaker. Tell us all the wires and maybe we can spot the problem.

beenthere 09-14-2012 03:37 PM

Why are you asking here, when your companies website says your company does wiring?

andrew79 09-14-2012 04:59 PM

I suspect its a three way switch being used as a single pole and a second circuit passing through the box.

Also curious as to how you do restoration and don't know what a three way is. Almost every handyman knows a threeway switch even if they can't wire them. I suspect more to the story here.

Also wondering why your working on it live and getting zapped. Then you somehow thought that was a good idea and did it a second time.

hammerlane 09-14-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere (Post 1009884)
Why are you asking here, when your companies website says your company does wiring?

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

DangerMouse 09-14-2012 07:17 PM

Looks like trolling spam to me....

DM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.