Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

3 way switch setup HELP!!

Okay I will try and describe this as best as I can....

Starting at the top of the stairs I have a 14-3 and a 14-2 (Whites tied together, black from 14-2 to black screw on switch, 14-3 red and black as travelers on switch).

Mid way down the stairs is the first light with a 14-2 wire (Black to brass screw, white to silver screw)

Bottom of the stairs is the second 3 sway switch, in this switch box there are 3 14-2 wire and 1 14-3 wire. The 14-3 wire I have hooked up the same as the switch upstairs.

Bottom of the stairs is the second light and this is where I get confused. It has 2 14-3 wires and 1 14-2 wire... Any help to hook up this light would be a huge help! I got as far as tie the red together....

Thank you

dsmpokolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,478

My guess and it is completely a guess would be to connect the 14/3 to each other and the 14/2 to the light.
If I was there i would do some testing of the wires to try and determine where they all go. Measure for voltage on the wires. Flip the switch and see if the voltage changes.
With power off, tie all the wires of one 14/3 together and go to the switch boxes and see if you can find the shorted wires.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Here's one way it could work. Of course have no idea if it does work this way in actuality. The thing to test, is I would have to know if the source power comes in at the top switch or the bottom switch. Easy to figure out, just disconnect everything, make sure no wires are touching anything, put the breaker on, and then go test each with a tester or sensor to see which is your source power. Then cut the breaker again of course. Tape that pair w a hot color like red so you know for the future.

Since there are 3 14/2s in the lower switch, let's assume one of those is the power. Then it would most likely be hooked up like this:

I can't figure out what that 14/2 on the upper switch would be used for. It is completely unnecessary to make the system work, and it's not really useful to take power to somewhere else, cuz there is no neutral there. There's only your two travelers and the switched power which probly heads back down the same wire on the white.

Last edited by SquishyBall; 04-19-2013 at 12:55 PM.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote