DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

3 way switch issues.

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Thadius856 
#1 ·
So I have 2 three way switches that run some exterior lights. The problem is that I can turn on the lights with once switch if the other is in a certain position. If the one is not then the lights don't work. Where do I start to trouble shoot this issue.

#2 ·
depends on how its wired.
find which switch is the hot side of circuit,the hot wire will go to the black screw on the switch .
the other 2 wires on the switch are travelers they can go on either of the other screws on switch.
go to other switch and find the 2 same wires you used for travelers on other switch,they go to the same set of screws on this switch.
the black wire going out to the lights is the common which goes to the black screw on this switch.
thats the simplist way i can explain it depending on how it was wired :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Simplest? Remove the faceplates, pull out the switches and check that the connections are clean and tight (with the power off, of course).

Most likely to work? Swap a known good 3-way switch from elsewhere in the house to where the one is that needs to be in a certain position for the other to work (or buy a new one, they're cheap).

I wouldn't bother with anything more advanced until both of those had been accomplished with no change.

#5 ·
So I bought 2 new switches and opened up the wiring. It appeared one of the switches had the power in the wrong location. Whit was on the black screw. When I adjusted the connection still problem. So I swapped out the switch with a brand new one and the switches work. It was a combination of bad wiring and a faulty switch. Thanks for the help and advice.

#6 ·
Here's the rub: neutral is never switched. You're not done yet, even if it works perfectly.

Have you determined where power comes in from the line side? Is the light wired between the switches or before/after them? What color wires do you have at each switch box?

If power enters at one switch, passes through another switch, and arrives at the light, there's some serious problems with your wiring if you're switching a white wire.

If power enters at the light, or does not pass through both switches on the way to the light, then it's fine. Be sure to re-mark the white wire with black (electrical) tape to denote that it's not a neutral. It should be this way behind the light fixture as well.

Congratulations on the fix. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.