Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

3 way switch help

hello, hoping to get some help with three way switches. Have a 50's home with mostly conduit wiring.

I had a 3 way leviton dimmer, ceiling fan, and regular 3 way switch in our family room. I'm replacing the dimmer with a 3 way switch and the fan with a standard ceiling light and leaving the other three way switch.
Going to the dimmer I had one black wire connected to one of the leviton black wires, one orange wire connected to the other leviton black wire and a blue wire connected to the leviton red. I'm not replacing the other 3 way, but it has blue and orange wires. the ceiling fan had white connected to white (no white wires in the other switch boxes) and TWO orange wires connected to the black. Other than the two orange wires connected to the black fixture wire there are no colored wires in the ceiling box.

This doesn't seem like any three way wiring I can find. I assumed I would connect the new three way switch as follows. Black to black terminal (black screw) and the orange and blue to (one to each) the remaining copper colored screws.

In the ceiling box is it ok to connect the 2 orange wires that were connect to the black of the fan to the black of the new light fixture?
What bad things can happen if I wire the switch wrong?
Could someone explain my specific 3 way wiring circuit or is more info needed.

Thanks for any help, the old set up was working fine for the 14 years we've lived here, but hit my head on and broke the ceiling fan.

mmbdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,068

3 way switch help

Nope. The red wire on the dimmer was the common connection. Connect the blue wire to the common screw(black) and the other two wires to the traveller screws. Your fixture connections sound correct.
I can't explain exactly what you since with conduit you can pull wires where ever they are needed. There is one thing that seems odd however. Why are there two orange wires connected to the light? Is there a second light or receptacle that is also controlled by these switches?