Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

3-Way switch Help

Hello, I have a 3-way switch that controls a light in my basement. Im replacing the wire due to it being old and falling apart. The wire has no markings so im not sure what wire is what so I drew a diagram with numbered wires and was hopeing that someone could tell me how it was wired or what number wire conects to what number wire. Here is the diagram. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
3-Way switch Help-basment-light_3_way.jpg  

oxicottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 48

3-Way switch Help

Connect all the green grounds together and to any ground screws on the switches.

3-Way switch Help-3way-sw-jb-lt-sw.jpg

joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #3

3-Way switch Help

joed, I tried your wireing diagram and turned on the power and nothing I followed your very easy directions. I have a question about how they are connected to the switches. There is a black screw on the switch which is on the side with 2 terminals. In your diagram it show the black screw by itself on one side. Going by your diagram I connected one white wire to the black screw on one switch and on the other switch I connected a red. Is this correct? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

3-Way switch Help

In your junction box put 11 & 15 together then 15 goes on the black screw on your switch, 13 & 14 go on the other 2 srews on your switch, put 9 & 12 together in your junction box this will go to 6 in your light, 13-7 and 14-8 in your junction box,in your light box put 7-3 together, 8-2 together, and 5 & 1; 2 & 3 go to the gold screws on your switch and 1 goes to the black screw. Damn my head hurts now. lol have fun

Last edited by wirenut1110; 07-02-2008 at 04:43 PM.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #5

3-Way switch Help

I had the wrong wire going to the wrong screws on the switches! Thanks for taking the time to number them out...

Thanks,
Chad
Old 07-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #6

3-Way switch Help

The black screw is the common screw. It is not in the same position on different brands of switches. You can NEVER go by screw postion when working with three way switches. You ALWAYS need to go by screw colour.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #7

3-Way switch Help

I did not know that! Thanks... Hay Joed, I was looking at your diagram and was woundering why is it that you went red to white on one of the travelers? I kept looking at it and drew this up. Is this drawling correct?
Attached Thumbnails
3-Way switch Help-garage.jpg  
Old 07-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

3-Way switch Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxicottin View Post
I did not know that! Thanks... Hay Joed, I was looking at your diagram and was woundering why is it that you went red to white on one of the travelers? I kept looking at it and drew this up. Is this drawling correct?
Hope Joed doesn't mind me answering, but if you notice, if we kept going the way we were, you'd end up with 2 white wires to hook your fixture to. If you follow the number scheme I gave you, it does the same thing.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #9

3-Way switch Help

Quote:
Colours are limited. You must have a red, white and black between each box unless you are using conduit.

The second drawing has two whites and no black between the fixture and the junction box. The upper white wire needs to be black. So your upper wire will be red black red, which can be very confusing if trying to trace the circuit out. You can't use the black for the neutral at the bottom. It must be white.
I like to use red for switched power. That leaves black for unswitched ower or travellers.

Last edited by joed; 07-03-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #10

3-Way switch Help

I didnt even notice that when I drew it up.. Man it looked god too One last question? If I wanted to add a 4 way switch where would I add it and what wires would it go to? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #11

3-Way switch Help

To add a four way switch you would move one of the threeway to the new location and put the four way in place of the three way. Works with either three way and you can add as many four ways as you need.
The connections would go like this.
Run a new three wire cable to the new switch location.
Remove the common wire and connect to wire of same colour in new cable.
Remove two traveler wire and connect to one set of screws on new four way.
Connect remaining two new wires to other set of screws on four way.
Connect threeway at new location with same wiring as old location.
One option would look like this

3-Way switch Help-4way-sw-jb-lt-sw-sw.jpg

Last edited by joed; 07-04-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #12

3-Way switch Help

Thank you so much and have a happy forth....

Hay Joed have you ever wired something up so it would show if your garage door was open or closed? Say a very small light or something?

Last edited by oxicottin; 07-04-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

3-Way switch Help

Oxi, Look at your local home improvement center, they have wireless sensors that indicate the state of your garage door. Little transmitter attaches to the top inside of your garage door and has a sort of float switch inside it so it can sense when the door is open. I think its around 30 bucks and the one i have is made by Chamberlain I believe. If you can't find it locally, try eBay.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #14

3-Way switch Help

Quote:
Thank you so much and have a happy forth....

Hay Joed have you ever wired something up so it would show if your garage door was open or closed? Say a very small light or something?
Never done that but I know they make switches with pilot lights that are used for that. Not the same as a lighted switch and requires a neutral in the switch box.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #15

3-Way switch Help

Well im kinda interested in building one "Just want to se if I can".... I found an example thats prety coo I think I might go with it but if all else fails I will purchase one. Thanks again for the replys and help

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/4...t-door-two.htm

Oh I found a site that helps with 3-Way Switch varations of how to wire and thought it would be helpfull if someone found this post for help.
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switch-outlet/4-way/

Last edited by oxicottin; 07-04-2008 at 09:37 PM.