Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #1

Share |

3-way switch

I have two hallway lights with 14-2 run to them and then to the first 3-way switch with the power. I have 14-3 from the home run switch to the second switch. Will this setup work?

Thanks in advance.

Sophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #2

3-way switch

You say the first 3-way switch is where the power comes in, then you mention a home-run switch. As I recall, a home-run is a line that runs to a central point, usually the service panel, fuse box, whatever you want to name it.

So, which switch has power? The one to which the lights are wired to first, or the second switch.
There are several configurations for a 3-way switch system that will work.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

3-way switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophist View Post
I have two hallway lights with 14-2 run to them and then to the first 3-way switch with the power. I have 14-3 from the home run switch to the second switch. Will this setup work?

Thanks in advance.
So, let's get this straight: you have 14-2 coming from the lights to a switch box. This box also has the power coming into it. Then a 14-3 also comes into this box and goes to the other switch. In the second box, there is only the 14-3 in it, correct?

If this is how this is set up, then yes, it will work, if you make the right connections.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #4

3-way switch

InPhase has it correctly rephrased and it's much clearer..Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #5

3-way switch

Quote:
InPhase has it correctly rephrased and it's much clearer..Sorry for the confusion.
Ok, in the first box, with all the cables, you will need to connect the wires correctly. I hope this is clear. Connect the black from power to the black screw on the 3-way. Connect the white from power to the white from the lights. Connect the black and red from the 14-3 to the gold screws on the 3-way. Connect the black wire from the lights to the white wire from the 14-3.

At the second switch, connect the black and red to the gold screws on the 3-way. Connect the white wire to the black screw.

Is that clear? I hope so
Old 12-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #6

3-way switch

Here we send the power on the 3 wire's black to the dead ended switch and use the red and white for travelers.

Of course it doesn't function any different but it keeps the power on the blacks and avoids the whole black to white thing.

Sophist. You want to end up with power on one switch's common terminal and the switch leg on the other (switch's common terminal). Two traveler wires connect the remaining two terminals of the switch's.

Confused enough? You have it roughed it correctly
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #7

3-way switch

The setup InPhase described works almost perfectly. Lights work and 3 of 4 outlets work. The one non-working outlet is reading about 2 on my voltmeter when set to 250V. The working ones read twice that. It's not enough to power anything.

Any Ideas?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #8

3-way switch

This is what you need to do. Simply continue the light cable on to the next light.
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switch-outlet/

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #9

3-way switch

Quote:
The setup InPhase described works almost perfectly. Lights work and 3 of 4 outlets work. The one non-working outlet is reading about 2 on my voltmeter when set to 250V. The working ones read twice that. It's not enough to power anything.

Any Ideas?
Your original description does not mention wiring for any receptacles. How do they come into the circuit? After looking in the outlet box itself, we must go back to the last connection before the non-working outlet. A reading of 2 on a digital meter means that either the hot is open, or both the hot and neutral are open.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #10

3-way switch

I forgot to mention the outlets...Power from downstairs switch and an outlet nearby. Then to the second outlet, the third...to the switch. From the switch, then to the fourth outlet on a dedicated 14-2. From the box to the lights with 14-2 and the switches have 14-3 run to them.

Total of four sets of wires. 3 are 14-2(one outlet, one to light and one is power) and one 14-3 between switches.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #11

3-way switch

Quote:
I forgot to mention the outlets...Power from downstairs switch and an outlet nearby. Then to the second outlet, the third...to the switch. From the switch, then to the fourth outlet on a dedicated 14-2. From the box to the lights with 14-2 and the switches have 14-3 run to them.

Total of four sets of wires. 3 are 14-2(one outlet, one to light and one is power) and one 14-3 between switches.
So, to be sure, in the first switch, we have power in, light, 14-3 and power out to a receptacle. Ok, after looking inside the receptacle box to make sure, pull the switch back out. The black wire from power in that is on the black screw of the switch needs to be tied together with the black from the receptacle as well as the switch. The white wire needs to tie to the white wires that come from power in and the lights.

Si o no?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 PM   #12

3-way switch

You are so great with all your help! I checked my work and then discovered one of the simple rules had been violated....I had mis-labeled my wires. Once I sorted it out, I followed your directions and It works perfectly!

Thank you very very much!